Menu

Miller Levine biology... which text?

I am looking into the Miller Levine High School biology text and am unsure which to purchase, and how to purchase.

I am trying to compare: On Level full text book and biology.com access. OR do I go with the Core book with access to biology.com Plus which offers online labs?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the core book and internet site and the on level book and site.

ALSO: what is the best way to purchase this? Do I act like a private school (we're in TX so technically we are private) or do I act like a homeschooler? I would like to get access to the teacher's edition of the text and teacher's section on the website.

I have requested an Oasis registration as a private school, and they now want me to email them proof that I am a certified teacher. Hmmm. Is it easier to register as a homeschool parent?:confused:

Thanks for any help!

• 1 month later...

I know this is quite late, and you may have already found your answer.

The Core book is just the basics of biology, intended for students who are struggling or falling behind or have special needs. The on level book is what most main-stream students use. At least, that is what I gathered from reading through the site.

I recently ordered the on level book. and I found it very easy to register as a homeschooler. The process does take a couple of days, though.

We ordered the text and the Study Workbook A, as well as the answer key/teacher text for the workbook only.

I hope that helps. Best wishes!

The Core book is just the basics of biology, intended for students who are struggling or falling behind or have special needs. The on level book is what most main-stream students use. At least, that is what I gathered from reading through the site.

Actually, the Foundations text is the one for special needs or ELL kids:

The Foundations Series ... delivers the same content as the On-Level version but at a lower reading level, making this a perfect solution for struggling readers, English Language Learners, and inclusion classrooms in general. This version also includes additional reading support embedded in the text. Students are supported with reading strategies that help them to effectively engage the content before, during, and after reading.... Illustrations and captions have been specially prepared to help simplify complex biological operations, summarize content, and help students make connections to the content.
http://www.mypearsontraining.com/pdfs/TG_MLBio_ProgramOverview.pdf

The Core text is just a subset of the regular (on level) text, with fewer chapters. Pearson has removed the Core text preview for some reason, but if I remember correctly, the Core edition only includes the first five units of the regular text, and drops the last three (plants, animals, humans).

Jackie