Menu

Map Trek: Worth it for grammar stage?

I'm drooling over Map Trek, but funds for next year's curriculum are tight. Are the maps in the SOTW AG enough for grammar stage, or did you feel that Map Trek added a much richer experience? Would it be more appropriate for logic stage? I could probably squeeze it out of the budget if it really adds a lot to SOTW, but I'm trying to be wise with funds so opinions would be appreciated :).

I'm drooling over Map Trek, but funds for next year's curriculum are tight. Are the maps in the SOTW AG enough for grammar stage, or did you feel that Map Trek added a much richer experience? Would it be more appropriate for logic stage? I could probably squeeze it out of the budget if it really adds a lot to SOTW, but I'm trying to be wise with funds so opinions would be appreciated :).

MapTrek is made by Knowledge Quest, and I'm pretty sure that the SOTW AG maps were made by KQ, or at least adapted from them. If you already have the AG maps, I don't think adding MT would make your experience richer. But DEFINITELY buy MT for logic stage and rhetoric stage! I didn't use the SOTW AG for grammar stage, but I did have the original KQ map series, which I loved. I was bummed that there wasn't anything like it to carry on later - until I discovered MapTrek a couple of months ago. So glad they produced it for later grades.

I've been eyeing this also. My logic stage kid will be using K12 Human Odyssey w/ teacher manual/student pages. My 2nd grader will be using SOTW so I'd have the maps from there. I may do the Try Before You Buy of History Odyssey level 2 Ancients which also has it's own map. WOuld Map Trek be overkill if I used History Odyssey and have the maps from SOTW Ag?

Capt_Uhura

I've been eyeing this also. My logic stage kid will be using K12 Human Odyssey w/ teacher manual/student pages. My 2nd grader will be using SOTW so I'd have the maps from there. I may do the Try Before You Buy of History Odyssey level 2 Ancients which also has it's own map. WOuld Map Trek be overkill if I used History Odyssey and have the maps from SOTW Ag?

Capt_Uhura

For the 2nd grader? I would choose the SOTW AG maps, OR MapTrek, but not both. For the logic stage kid, MapTrek for sure. :D

For grammar stage, if you already have the SOTW maps, they're not necessary. If you do splurge, their rich color and the option for both blank and filled in maps are pretty cool...

When we first got into maps half a year ago with my 5 year old, I took a picture of all three (SOTW, HO, and MapTrek) maps of Egypt, here they are for comparison if it helps.

http://satorismiles.com/2010/01/26/mapwork-she-loves-to-draw-maps/