Menu

WWE/FLL, Classical Writing, Queen Language Lessons...

All of these seem similar in content and style to me. I would prefer a program that is completely laid out, I do not like lesson planning. I also would *prefer* a program I can do all the way through. We switched a lot with ds, and it caused issues which we wish to avoid this time.

Please tell me what you think and why. If there is another program you prefer, let me know that as well. I am looking for something COMPLETE...spelling, writing, grammar, penmanship, vocab, comprehension. I know I would have to order separate books, but want to use one company, kwim? I prefer this type of LA (classical). Please advise. Thanks!

Our favorite around here after a *lot* of searching and switching is:

http://www.thephonicsroad.com/

You can do a search for "Phonics Road" and a ton of posts will come up that should help you out.

It has four levels, each buliding on the one before and adding many layers of skills as the years go by. We are on level 1 for remediating some things that we missed in the early years. My little guy will start it from the beginning to avoid that problem.

If you aren't keen on that, then I suggest First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease for the grammar and writing portion of the early years. Rod and Staff spelling is good as well. I personally didn't care for Queen's Language Lessons, but mostly because I was disappointed in the content and what was included for the money. Primary Language Lessons would also be a good one to consider as well. Classical Writing gets lots of great reviews but it is awfully teacher intensive, IMO and I just couldn't get my mind around it *at all*.

ETA: If this is for the little one that is just 4yo., then I wouldn't do any of the above things until they were at least 6yo. I would get "Before Five in a Row" spend lots and lots of time reading and *maybe* continuing with OPGTR. Then when in 1st grade start with Phonics Road level 1 (first part will be a review) and go on from there. The content jumps significantly in difficulty in level 2 and I would hate to see them stall and get frustrated!

Edited by LoveBaby