Menu

School ID

I seem to recall that you can take the birth certificate, etc. to a notary and that your sworn statement is acceptable. It was a while ago, though, that I did that. That's all free, of course. A passport is rather a hassle for an ACT test. Check the website of the ACT and Collegeboard and see about alternative i.d's.

My older son used a homeschool ID with a photo that I made up when he took an SAT2 exam in the 10th grade. It worked just fine. In my state, you have to be 16 yo to get a state photo ID, so that wasn't an option. When I realized he needed the ID, it was too late to get a passport.

After that SAT2 exam, we got him a passport, which he used for subsequent SAT2 & ACT exams.

HTH,

Brenda

My kids got in just fine using the ID card I made myself from the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op site for the PSAT and the SAT. I printed the card on cardstock and then took it to Office Max to get laminated. My 17yo has her driver's license now, but she used the homemade card for the PSAT in 10th and 11th grades. My 14yo used the homemade card for the SAT subject test she took two weeks ago.

There is a form on the CollegeBoard site (not sure about the ACT) that we could have afixed a photo to and had the school district stamp with their seal verifying his identity. It's pretty ridiculous, because they don't know him from Adam. Instead, we got a NYS non-driver ID, and it has been helpful to him not only for all testing situations, but other times as well. It looks just like a license.

Maura

My daughter used her YWCA card for the PSAT and AP tests. For the ACT, I believe she used her college ID (as she was a dual enrolled student). I'm not sure because I was out of town at the time with family issues. She now has a state ID card (which she needed to get on to planes, anyway, seeing as she still doesn't have a driver's license).

Do your kids not have driver's licenses yet? If and when they do get them, those will be state IDs and valid for getting into the tests. Otherwise, I'd try to find out from the site where the test is what's acceptable. Then you won't run into surprises with how the proctors at that particular site interpret what the College Board says on their website.