Menu

Sonlight or Singapore for science next year?

I am looking for a science program to do for grade 2 which will begin in February next year when DD will be 6.5yo.

I have been considering Sonlight Science 2 or Singapore MPH 3.

We are currently enjoying Sonlight Science K which was a poor choice on my part. It is nothing new for us although we are finding it fun and light. I love that everything is there and it is a no brainer. Open the TM grab the supplies and do it :D

She has specifically said she wants to learn more about the human body. Not sure if SL or MPH will cover that requirement adequately :confused:

What are the pros and cons of each?

Which has your family enjoyed?

What else can you tell me?

I haven't used Singapore Science, but my middle ds completed Sonlight Science 2 this past year and loved it.

Pros: Accelerated children can work almost independently. My second grader completed 75% of it independently. (By independently, I don't mean I was off in another room doing something else; I was across the table working with another student. They are able to ask me if they have a question about anything.)

I like that the questions asked in the student pages all require thought on the part of the student. They are not questions that are verbatim of words on the page referenced. The questions require the student to analyze and understand what they read in order to answer correctly. There are a few multiple choice questions, but the majority of questions require complete sentence answers.

It is very pick up and go if you buy the coordinating science kit. I buy extra student pages and put them in a separate three-ring binder for my boys, so they each have their own levels set up like a workbook for them.

Cons: Cost: It is not a cheap program. Time: Science is 5 days a week, about 15-30 minutes a day. This might be too much for some people.

P.S. SL 2 covers aspects of the human body Mon-Thurs (Friday is animals) in weeks 3-10.

I have not used Sonlight but have used Singapore.

Singapore is deceptively simple. The text and material covered is basic but the workbook and activities really push the child to relate the information and use high thinking skills. Both of my girls who were young third graders at the time found MPH 3 challenging.

Most experiments can be accomplished in 3 with supplies around the house.

If you check the TOCs on the Singapore website, you will see that it is light on human body sections. If you are truly wanting to do work on the human body, I would recommend grabing some book from the library and going for it.

Apologia just came out with a new book about the human body. I believe that Sonlight's human body course is for core 5, but am not sure about the ages. We have liked the Apologia series thus far and it follows the classic education mold. Good luck with your decision.

~Julie