Menu

MFW/TOG....help me choose!

I think this decision really depends on the need of your student and your needs.

1)Do you need things all laid out for you.....with daily lesson plans then I would go with MFW

2)Or do you like to have a structure, and kind of know where you are going, but have the flexibility to plan each day...then I would go with TOG

3)Is Bible more of a priority for your family....then I would go with MFW

4)But if church history is more of a priority...then Iwould go with TOG

5)Is your goal for your student "Academic Rigor"....then I would go with TOG

The list could go on and on.....These are just a few things that I have noticed about each program. But when it really comes down to it, you have to KNOW your child and what will work best for him/her.

I sat down and let my 15yo HELP ME make this decision. She just LOVED the idea of having daily lesson plans and doing an integrated Bible lesson each day....So, we went with MFW after doing TOG classic for years. We are all at peace here. But that is "OUR" story.

You have to do what is RIGHT for your family. Pray and God will lead you.

Going to conference later this morning to purchase my MFW:D So, I won't be around to check this post.

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

I have no experience with MFW. I can only talk about TOG. I really like it. My kids have learned so much from it. I personally have learned so much from it. Looking over the high school portion, there is some really great literature, very in-depth history (I had no idea I knew so little about history until doing TOG) wonderful art appreciation, the list could go on and on. One place that it really shines is the discussion. There are discussions written out for literature, philosophy, church history, and history. I love the way they give warnings if anything objectionable is coming up in a book. I thought I was a prude until I read their warnings. They warn of every curse word, every time something is gross, if there is s*xual content, or nudity. I got cracked up at one nudity warning. It was a very unreal looking drawing, from the back, of a woman sitting down. You could see her naked back. Just an outline really. Her skin was the same color as the back ground.

The church history in TOG is wonderful. I have never learned church history, even though I have been going to church all my life. My kids have really enjoyed learning what Christianity looked like at its onset and how it became the religion we know today.

I love the way that TOG has writing incorporated to its historical studies. The higher the levels of writing focus on college prep. I love that. Assigning writing on my own I would have never thought to assign essay answers to questions.

Can you tell we plan to stick with TOG? My youngest son has never done anything else. My older sons went to ps their first few years of school. They say that TOG is much harder than "real school" as they call it, but they enjoy TOG much, much more.

MFW does have church history in their World History and Literature course. They use Church History in Plain Language and Heroes of the Faith (I really like this book), along with Notgrass, which has a fair amount too. This is still not as much as Sonlight 200 or TOG (I haven't seen this, but am sure it is a full course), but may be enough to fill your needs. :)