Menu

Science kits for kindergartener

I was flipping through the Timberdoodle catalogue and saw their science kits. After doing some research on Amazon, these are the ones I'm considering:

Be Amazing Blast of Color

Mind Blowing Science Kit for Young Scientists

My First Dinosaur Science Kit

Little Labs Stepping into Science

This would just be for something fun to do on a couple of Fridays a month. I will probably be including her 3 year old sister in the activities. It looks like the Dinosaur kit would be a one-time deal, though it might be worth it, since dd is into dinosaurs these days. The Stepping into Science kit looks like it has the most experiments with more explanation of the principals behind them.

Has anyone used any of these or any others successfully with young kids? I'd love to hear any reviews/suggestions.

I have experience with both the "little labs" series and the "my first" science kits series and I give them both thumbs down. Sorry. At the usually awesome rec of our local toy store, we tried one of the My First Science kit series - I think about rainbows? The color tubes leaked and the directions weren't clear. Plus, like the first three "experiments" were just looking at the colors in different ways and took two seconds. It wasn't engaging. The little labs ones we had as gifts were just confusing and overly complex for this age. We had one about gears and pulleys and it was full of tiny pieces that immediately got lost and broken.

The thing we used and LOVED this past year for a kindergarten science sampler was the Magic Schoolbus Science Kits. They have many, many experiments in each box that build around a theme - there's a scope and sequence to them. We have now done every single one of them and they were all good. Some of them are a bit advanced for K, but nothing too bad. And the booklet is full of good info and is all colorful and got the kids excited because they love the Magic Schoolbus.

I have experience with both the "little labs" series and the "my first" science kits series and I give them both thumbs down. Sorry. At the usually awesome rec of our local toy store, we tried one of the My First Science kit series - I think about rainbows? The color tubes leaked and the directions weren't clear. Plus, like the first three "experiments" were just looking at the colors in different ways and took two seconds. It wasn't engaging. The little labs ones we had as gifts were just confusing and overly complex for this age. We had one about gears and pulleys and it was full of tiny pieces that immediately got lost and broken.

The thing we used and LOVED this past year for a kindergarten science sampler was the Magic Schoolbus Science Kits. They have many, many experiments in each box that build around a theme - there's a scope and sequence to them. We have now done every single one of them and they were all good. Some of them are a bit advanced for K, but nothing too bad. And the booklet is full of good info and is all colorful and got the kids excited because they love the Magic Schoolbus.

Thanks for the info. Those Magic Schoolbus ones look fun, and they have one about space! Maybe even better than dinosaurs.