Menu

Phonics Readers

EJCMom

What practice readers do you all use with your kids as they are learning to read? I know WTM recommends the Modern Curriculum Press readers, but it seems like it gets so expensive to order the whole set. I have the Bob books, but I was wondering if there were other suggestions that aren't so expensive as the MCP ones?

I use the readers included with HOP, along with Bob Books, Starfall readers and readers by Nora Gaydos.....along with a lot of early reader books that aren't necessarily phonetically controlled.

These are the ones we have. You can also look at the Starfall website for games too. I really tried to stick to phonetic readers.

Angela

Just fyi, if you are interested in the MCP readers, you might post on the wanted to buy forum. I found a set from a member here for an amazing price! A.Maz.ing. :001_smile:

I will add that the MCP readers work very will in conjuction with the BOB books. We have found great success with the two sets together at our house.

Elder DD loves the Itty Bitty Phonics Readers. They're really inexpensive, too, so that's nice :)

Those look great! Do you feel like they give enough reinforcement and practice? I really like the BOB books because they are confidence-building, but I don't feel like they provide enough practice at this stage. What is your feeling on that with regard to the Itty Bitty books? I definitely love the price!

Just fyi, if you are interested in the MCP readers, you might post on the wanted to buy forum. I found a set from a member here for an amazing price! A.Maz.ing. :001_smile:

I will add that the MCP readers work very will in conjuction with the BOB books. We have found great success with the two sets together at our house.

That's a great idea. I'm still new to this forum, so I haven't ventured over to the classified area yet. I'll have to check it out. :001_smile:

We have:

BOB books

HOP readers

Leap frog sing a long readers

I can read it beginner books

McRuffy readers that came with our package

and a couple from barnes and nobles that I forget the name of

i do prefer the phonetic progression readers though as it makes my life simpler and my DS less frustrated :P