Menu

Catholic homeschoolers-what curricula do you use

jillian

Also I second the recs for Christian Studies, Catholic Mosaic, Literature For a Young Lady, Friendly Defenders, etc. I like Kolbe religion for high school and integrate Seton workbooks here and there for elementary grades. I strive to cultivate a Catholic "atmosphere" which I hope permeates our home, rather than include a little Catholicism as the "frosting" on individual subjects. We do use materials from non-Catholic publishers as necessity dictates.

Have you used Christian Studies? Could you give a quick critique and let me know if it "Catholic" friendly? I have heard that it is, but I haven't heard a review from an actual Catholic who has used it. Thank you!

Have you used Christian Studies? Could you give a quick critique and let me know if it "Catholic" friendly? I have heard that it is, but I haven't heard a review from an actual Catholic who has used it. Thank you!

We are just starting Book I - The Creation, The Patriarchs, The Exodus.

This program strikes me as neutral, approaching bible study from more of a historical and literary perspective than a religious one.

I think the rap on this course among some Catholics is the fact that it uses The Golden Children's Bible, rather than a Catholic children's bible, and the GCB is based on the King James version. I'm not aware of any Catholic Children's bible that compares to the Golden Bible in regard to the vast array of beautiful colored pictures, though.

I think this course can easily be Catholicized by substituting memory verses from the Douay Rheims or another Catholic version.

HTH. :)

I have not yet read this book but the TRISMS curriculum offers a Catholic History Supplement that they say is good for use with any secular/protestant curriculum. This is the curriculum I am planning on using in a few years with the Catholic supplement. http://stores.shoptrisms.com/Detail.bok?no=60

Thank you, this looks like it would work quite well.

Thank you to everyone who commented on Christian Studies, I am wondering if using these two together would be comprable to CWH.

You can download Catholic Memory verses for free from all catholic books.

I'm starting my second time through the series and I've found nothing objectionable.

Thank you for the link, that is great! I am also using MP Kindergarten this year, do you mind if I ask if you are using the Bible study as written with Catholic supplements, or are you using it as is, or using something completely different?

Thank you for the link, that is great! I am also using MP Kindergarten this year, do you mind if I ask if you are using the Bible study as written with Catholic supplements, or are you using it as is, or using something completely different?

I just saw this. :tongue_smilie:

I'm using the kindergarten program, but I am tweaking it. I'm using the Catholic memory verses from Christian Studies 1 for all the kids. I'm just not requiring mastery from my youngest. It makes the recitation easier if everyone is learning the same thing. We're only 4 weeks into it so we'll see if it works.

a heads up for SOTW 2--

It's nice to add a Catholic point-of-view on Queens Elizabeth/Mary and Martin Luther/reformation.

Then, as you move forward in history there were so many influential Jesuit priests among the explorers/settlers, in positions of influence with many rulers, and (of course) saints.

Do you have any suggestions of books for 2nd grade-ish that would add in the Catholic POV as you mention above? I'm in the process of converting, and I plan to use SOTW2 but know we need to supplement, especially for the reformation. I'd love to take some notes, if you have the time! :bigear: