Menu

American history book suggestions needed

I'm pulling together an American history program and would appreciate some book suggestions. 9th-10th grade level would be great. I already have a spine or two, biographies and historical fiction. I still need book suggestions for:

20th century history (one comprehensive book)

US government/civics (not a full program, just a book)

American poets (an anthology would be great)

American geography (something like Halliburton's Book of Marvels only for the US)

I searched Amazon and there are so many choices. I would love to know what books you've really enjoyed or found to be especially informative or interesting. Thanks!

I don't know about 1 source for 20th Cen history.

However, for Geography you could read the books by Peter Jenkins starting with this one

Also my dh taught Government to our oldest two kids last year. He used Declaration Statesmanship and then simply had them read the the constitution and research all the different aspects of it. (Google was wonderful for this.)

I don't now about an American Poetry anthology either. I used Lightning Lit's America Lit program which was a mix of poetry and novels.

Oxford Book of American Poetry and 101 Great American Poems are on our list.

For American Geography we will use Trail Guide to U.S. Geography and the Eat Your Way Across the U.S.A. Yes, even for my high schooler and the foods he makes will go towards our "Life Skills" credit.

For Government/Civics: Uncle Eric Series - Whatever Happened to Justice?

Well, I haven't done this, but I think I would either pick an American History text and just use the parts I wanted, or google modern American History (or look at the bookstore) for a book.

For poetry, my ds in college took Modern Am. Lit. they used this:

The Norton Anthology of Modern and Contemporary Poetry, Vol. 1 Modern Poetry

ISBN: 978-0-393-97791-2

Also, American Literature textbooks tend to have a good bit of modern in them.

Geography, maybe an American History Atlas that shows maps from all time periods, I have a cheap one from the bookstore.

HTH

I don't know about 1 source for 20th Cen history.

However, for Geography you could read the books by Peter Jenkins starting with this one

Thanks for this suggestion. I think we will read this one and another he wrote that I found on Amazon - Along the Edge of America. He sails a boat from the Florida Keys to Texas. My dd will recognize many of the cities including the one we live in now and the one in which she was born. It also reminded me that I still have A Land to Remember which is a history/geography of the state of Florida that I haven't gotten around to having her read.

Oxford Book of American Poetry and 101 Great American Poems are on our list.

For American Geography we will use Trail Guide to U.S. Geography and the Eat Your Way Across the U.S.A. Yes, even for my high schooler and the foods he makes will go towards our "Life Skills" credit.

For Government/Civics: Uncle Eric Series - Whatever Happened to Justice?

Thanks TXMary2! I'll look into all of these this weekend.

Well, I haven't done this, but I think I would either pick an American History text and just use the parts I wanted, or google modern American History (or look at the bookstore) for a book.

Thanks! You've just reminded me that I do have an American Literature textbook. I had forgotten about it because I wasn't going to use it. But now I do remember it had two chapters on poetry!!