Menu

Aloha Mental Math? Kumon? (x-post)

Does anyone here have any experience with or know anyone who has had experience with the classes this company offers?

http://www.aloha-usa.com/

or from Kumon

http://www.kumon.com/?gclid=CImf1sP-jqICFRTXnAodkwPgag

I've been thinking about enrolling ds1 next fall to an enrichment math class. I'd like for him to just have some extra reinforcement (and accountability to someone else)to what we do now.

We have a Kumon center and the Aloha Center just opened up. The Aloha Center seems interesting since the emphasis is more mental, from what I've heard Kumon seems to be more worksheet oriented.

We use Kumon to supplement Singapore Math. Dd1 started at 5 and a bit, and dd2 started at 4. I'm a HUGE fan. It's a big hump to get over at first, with lots of resistance from the kids, but once you get over that and it's part of the routine, it's pretty painless to keep up with it. Dd1 has been able to fly through a lot of the Singapore math, simply because she knows her math facts cold. Dd2 is going more slowly, because she started younger, but she's still almost a year ahead of where dd1 was at the same age. It's pretty low maintenance, about five minutes a day (except when they are learning a new area). It's not a stand alone curriculum, but I think it's the perfect complement to SM, which really doesn't have a drill component.

Hope that helps.

Kumon math up to level G is a computation drill program. The emphasis by level A to G is similar to the MUS sequence.

A = simple addition and subtraction

B = multiple digit addition and subtraction

C = simple multiplication and division

D = multiple digit multiplication and division

E = fractions and a little decimals

F = order of operations

G = pre-alg

Kumon also has 6 levels leading up to level A (7A, 6A, 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A). These levels work on things like counting, one-to-one awareness, learning to write numbers, counting up to 220, adding 1-5 to a number, and simple horizontal addition and subtraction.

It would be great used alongside a program like Singapore, MEP, or Miquon as a drill component. My youngest uses Saxon, but we use Kumon instead of the Saxon drill sheets. OTOH- it would be pretty redundant with MUS.

My little man has been doing Kumon math for right at three years, my oldest completed the Kumon reading program, and I teach in the Junior room at the local Kumon center. I thoroughly believe in the Kumon math program as a supplement that instills confidence and a stone cold knowledge of math facts.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Mandy

My twins(8 yrs - rising 3rd graders) have been doing Kumon Math for last 1 year.

Even though it is work-sheet oriented, uses the mental math concept.

Every now and then we get resistance from the girls. I now know it happens, when they are finding the work harder. A little hand holding & they are fine the next day. Otherwise they are pretty independent.

Just adds a routine to the Mental Math aspect.

• 6 months later...

We used Kumon for a couple of years when my oldest daughter was younger, and frankly, it wasn't worth the money. Your mileage may vary, because the centers are individual franchises, but we had issues with our center in northern California.

Most of the students in our center were Asian boys, and very few of the tutors (college students) spoke English, so my daughter often did not understand what they were telling her... when they actually spoke to her at all. It was expensive, considering that all she did was bring home homework sheets for each day then spend an hour in the center working on the very same sheets. We were a graduate student family at the time, so that $80/month was a stretch for us. Parents were not permitted inside the center, and they frequently overlooked her, so sometimes she'd sit there for almost two hours before they noticed she was done. I could see through the window, but couldn't go in to get her.

Her initial "assessment" consisted of putting numbers on a 100s board, but no actual arithmetic. Then the guy who ran the center told us that she needed to work on number value. I suspect he placed her based on her age and gender, rather than on what she could actually do. He told me that since I wasn't a teacher, I wouldn't know what she was capable of doing (that should have been my first hint it wasn't going to work.) She'd finish the silly homework sheets in seconds, get all the problems correct, and she was still not promoted to the next set for weeks and weeks.

For us, the whole point of putting her in Kumon was for enrichment, not for remedial help and I got very frustrated with her lack of progress. So did she!! I think she got just overlooked most of the time. She loved math, but Kumon was painful.

I've heard that it's now possible to order the worksheets and do the program at home, and I'd consider that. I can see that the program would be valuable if administered properly, but I'd carefully evaluate a center before putting my kid in it again.

Edited by sailmom
typos

• 1 year later...
Guest heathertz

I'd be glad to share my experience with Aloha :) . Aloha Mind Math like the name says, focuses on mental arithmetic. My son started out at a free tryout session, and since it was an interactive, fun learning session he really enjoyed it. My son started approaching complex calculations with a lot more confidence after starting the course. I found a difference in his approach to math too, and he is now able to perform big calculations faster and more accurately.

They also have started English reading and writing program which I have been wanting to try out for my daughter, as I've heard a lot of good things about it from the other parents.

Edited by heathertz