Menu

Need help to find World History for 9th grader...

I have looked at TOG, MFW, and SL (Alt 7)

I have No idea which to do with a 9th grader...She is a stong reader, but doesn't like to read books that *appear* hard. I would like the books to be educational, but enjoyable.

She needs more confidence in writing...thinking of doing Home2Teach writing course in addition.

I like geography included too....

The bible/church history will be *over our heads* as we are newish believers...

SO, any of you have the MAGIC answer???? :bigear:

Thanks!!!

Here's an idea, though this wasn't on your list...

What about using Notgrass World History? You could add in a few Progeny Press study guides to go a little more in depth with some of the literature selections used in Notgrass.

Some people actually split the two volumes of Notgrass WH over 2 years. They add in more lit selections when doing it that way. So it would be like, Notgrass WH Vol. I for grade 9, and then Notgrass WH Vol II in grade 10, which might be more appealing to you.

You could search the threads for splitting up Notgrass WH to get some ideas.

Notgrass would also be good since you stated you are 'newish' believers. It would help your dd to understand the bible better by applying it historically. The questions can be analyzed deeply or on the surface and the church history would be just enough not to overload her.

Thank you both!!!!

I like that in TOG, MFW, and SL that there are weekly checklists.....it makes it easy!!! (or it appears to be easy!)...

Any more secular world history? Has anyone ever tried Oak Meadow or Potters school. I just want something that will be *fun* and keep her interested, as this is all new to us!!!

Any suggestions really appreciated!!!!:D

Here's an idea, though this wasn't on your list...

What about using Notgrass World History? You could add in a few Progeny Press study guides to go a little more in depth with some of the literature selections used in Notgrass.

Some people actually split the two volumes of Notgrass WH over 2 years. They add in more lit selections when doing it that way. So it would be like, Notgrass WH Vol. I for grade 9, and then Notgrass WH Vol II in grade 10, which might be more appealing to you.

You could search the threads for splitting up Notgrass WH to get some ideas.

:iagree: MFW does this. They use the first part for Ancient History, and the second for World History. So, if you did go with Notgrass, that's what you could call it each year as well, if you wanted to. So, 9th grade = Ancient History and 10th grade = World History.

It is a very easy to read program. The scheduling is a breeze because you do one lesson a week which is clearly marked in the book. It will also tell you what book to read and how long you have to read it. There is some writing in it. It doesn't teach how to write but there is plenty of practice. Each unit (which is 5 days long) has a 2 page paper due at the end. They give the student 3 choices for what the paper should be written about. Gave my kids lots of practice. There is a question and quiz book that you can also buy. It has questions for every lesson to search out what was read. There is a test every 5th day but it's a multiple choice test and very easy. There is also a harder quarterly test. The answers are in the quiz book. The drawback most people find is there isn't a lot of digging into the books. The student is just told to read it. There are about 10 questions to answer about the book when they are finished but they are very basic. That's why some people do a couple of progeny press guides. If you don't like the book that's scheduled to be read you can substitute something you do like. That's the beauty of this program. It would be good for a new christian because it teaches the history of the church through a Christian perspective. We've used this for both of my kids and they loved it.

The drawback most people find is there isn't a lot of digging into the books. The student is just told to read it. There are about 10 questions to answer about the book when they are finished but they are very basic. That's why some people do a couple of progeny press guides.

This is exactly what I meant, and why I suggested using lit guides w/ Notgrass. Well said. :-)

--------------

Brindee, you mentioned that MFW AHL & WHL splits Notgrass into two years. I know that AHL uses it, but wasn't aware that WHL uses it. Thanks for the head's up.

~Cocoa