Menu

s/o What do you consider a "good" household income?

Our house is paid for, so our housing expenses are only property taxes, insurance, & maintenance, and our vehicle is also paid for (it's old, and we are trying to set aside money for the next one, but not Having to make payments gives us flexibility). Also, though I wish we had more, we only have two children. And my parents give us new jeans, shirts, and books for Christmas and birthdays (not school supplies, but that certainly leaves Us more for buying the school books!). And by "significantly" I really meant about $3,000, so maybe I should have said slightly (but $3,000 just doesn't look slight to me!).

***And now, having written this, I realize I should not have commented on this thread at all. Our current income would Not provide for a tolerably comfortable life except for our fortunate situation regarding the house, which only happened because we we were able to sell our house in Florida before the market collapsed. I would delete my posts, but that leads to a strange looking thread, so I will just apologize for posting unhelpful information.

I don't think it is unhelpful at all! Please don't feel that way. I will say I am very thankful for you that you have been so blessed. :D It's a very good thing. I also now "know" you now (from the old board - I remember when you moved.)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that skews how people can view living costs is that the poverty rate doesn't count non wage payments. So that is how those people survive- food stamps, Section 8, tax checks, etc. They don't survive on less than the poverty rate unless they have other help like no rent or mortgage or government aid or some other type of assistance.

Lots of people live below the poverty level without government assistance. Where did you get the idea that you can't? It isn't fun, but I can think of several families right off the top of my head that do it. They live more than one family to a house, grow/raise a significant part of their food, and other strategies that most others don't do.

Immigrant families that I have known have done *amazing* things with no gov't assistance while still sending money to family at home. Someone in this thread mentioned what some of her Cuban neighbors have done.

I would like to be one of those people. Not that I want to stay below the poverty level!:lol: The only way that we will get to that $60K "good income" I mentioned is if I go to work full-time. I am not sure yet if that is worth it, so maybe we will keep trying other strategies for another year to see what happens.

I don't think it is unhelpful at all! Please don't feel that way. I will say I am very thankful for you that you have been so blessed. :D It's a very good thing. I also now "know" you now (from the old board - I remember when you moved.)

Thanks, Renee! I do realize that our family's expenses are so much lower than the usual that my comment regarding comfortable income was completely off the mark. But you have kindly made me feel like less of a dope -- thank you! And it is very nice to be remembered from the old board!