Menu

Saxon Algebra II ?

I know that with the younger levels of Saxon math, you can test through some of the beginning lessons. I used to do this with my dd to help put math to a four day week or to give us some flex time.

Do you know if you can do that with Algebra II? Is there any review in the book or is it better to work it from the beginning?

If so do you know the point that new material is being introduced?

Lynda

The beginning lessons are review and the new material starts in the teens or twenties - my dd doesn't remember exactly. We didn't skip the review since we had a year of geometry before that and needed algebra review anyway. If you're doing this right after Algebra I, I would think that the student could just skim through the lessons and figure out where they need to start. Another idea is to just give the first tests and that will show also. Just remember that if they don't know something on a test, it was covered at least four lessons before the lesson after that the test is normally given. HTH, but I think I just took an easy concept and made it sound really confusing. :tongue_smilie:

In Alg. I, dd just did the odds in every lesson (though she did every lesson). Starting in Alg. II, she didn't skip anything in the book, review or not. She is doing the same thing in AM, and wishes she hadn't skipped anything in Alg. I, either. Just her opinion.:)

We just finished Saxon Alg II and there is the usual review in the front of the book as in every Saxon Math book. You can try testing in the beginning until your student is no longer showing mastery but if you did Geometry in between, it would be a good idea to do the review lessons. May dgdd only does the odds in each lesson as long as she makes 90% or above. It has been a great incentive for her to work hard. We alternate evens and odds so she gets both kinds of problems offered. We also combine lesson if the lessons are easy for her. Then we only do the practice problems and the new in the first lesson and the odds or evens in the second lesson we covered. She is a good math student and has never needed the practice to get it. We are cautious about Saxon Advanced Math Trig and we will approach it a bit differently to see how she will do. We have ordered the Art Lee DVDs for the first time since she is doing Trig and its not my love or something I have taught repeatedly over my 25 years of teaching. The other thing I forgot to mention is that we always finish our book at the end of the year. I believe that is part of the reason we can test through the review in the next book. It is important to finish the book if you take that approach. We both love Saxon and she is very successful in the Saxon program. It suits her, as she says. I wish you a great year in Alg II.

Thanks so much that gives me an idea of what to do and where to go....

We did just finish geometry... however we did algebra review every Friday so that her algebra skills would not be forgotten. We used the Algebra 1 tests from Saxon, made her score above a 90%. Then we looked at the problems missed and determined the why and reviewed chapters as needed. Her Algebra skills are very strong. We always finish our math books, even if nothing else gets finished! All the new material is always at the end.

It would be great if I could test her out of the first 20 lessons ...that would be with tests.. about 25 days worth of work. That would really ease our schedule. She wants to take an art class on Thursdays that will only leave us about 3 hours for school. I am trying to see what I can take away from Thursday.

Lynda