Menu

Anyone use CLE lit for high school

• 2 weeks later...

literature program. I chose it primarily because of the content and my familiarity with and appreciation of other CLE materials. The last several sections relate to Pilgrim's Progress, there is a large section of poetry and other short stories. As you are likely aware, it doesn't study entire works (books), but I think it will serve us well for next year. My dd is technically a rising 8th grader, but will be using this curriculum. It seems an excellent starting point. Sorry I can't offer more, but we just moved and I haven't had an opportunity to thumb through it more than briefly thus far.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am using it with my 9th grade ds. We will cover 1/2 the book this year (Literature I) and the 2nd half next year (Literature 2). I am using it with the correspondoing 5 LightUnits that go with the book, although you would not need to. The first unit covers short stories and the second unit covers poetry. There are three other units that are part of Literature 2 -- Biography, Reflections, and Allegory.

I like the fact that the questions are more than just comprehension type questions, but really require him to think about what he has read. There are literary technique sections and writing for skill sections. It has been a good fit for my ds.

I have broken it up with book studies. This year he has read Great Expectations, Frankenstein, and The Hound of Baskervilles. He has two more Lightunits to work through and probably 2 more book studies as well before the end of the school year.

Yvonne in NE

I am using it with my 9th grade ds. We will cover 1/2 the book this year (Literature I) and the 2nd half next year (Literature 2). I am using it with the correspondoing 5 LightUnits that go with the book, although you would not need to. The first unit covers short stories and the second unit covers poetry. There are three other units that are part of Literature 2 -- Biography, Reflections, and Allegory.

I like the fact that the questions are more than just comprehension type questions, but really require him to think about what he has read. There are literary technique sections and writing for skill sections. It has been a good fit for my ds.

I have broken it up with book studies. This year he has read Great Expectations, Frankenstein, and The Hound of Baskervilles. He has two more Lightunits to work through and probably 2 more book studies as well before the end of the school year.

Yvonne in NE

I am using it for my 9th grade dd as well. We are also splitting the course up and combining it with other books studies. I have thrown in a couple of lit guides too. I also like the literary technique sections. It was one of the main reasons I chose the program. It is working well for us. If you place a call to CLE, they will usually send you a free light unit. See if you get can get the first one for Lit 1. That may help you make a better decision.