Menu

More science questions

Nakia

So, maybe a textbook isn't exactly what I'm looking for. ARGH! This is hard. I want something interesting that hits on several different topics in one year. I would like to combine my 2nd and 5th graders. We like experiments, but not complicated or very frequent experiments. Secular is fine as long as evolution is not pushed. I don't want to spend a fortune either.

Anyone know anything about these?

Real Science 4 Kids

R.E.A.L science

Noeo

Sonlight (we are using a SL core next year, but I'm not familiar with the science and it is expensive!)

Any others?? I am lost about science. Thanks!

Edited by Nakia

Have you looked at BFSU? The current book is K-2 but could be extended for your 5th grader. But the author is supposedly releasing the 3-6 book this summer. It's one book and you get other books from the library etc but it covers four disciplines of science at once and beautifully shows the interrelatedness. There are many threads here on BFSU. OH and the book is about $25.

So, maybe a textbook isn't exactly what I'm looking for. ARGH! This is hard. I want something interesting that hits on several different topics in one year. I would like to combine my 2nd and 5th graders. We like experiments, but not complicated or very frequent experiments. Secular is fine as long as evolution is not pushed. I don't want to spend a fortune either.

Anyone know anything about these?

Real Science 4 Kids

R.E.A.L science

Noeo

Sonlight (we are using a SL core next year, but I'm not familiar with the science and it is expensive!)

Any others?? I am lost about science. Thanks!

Are you combining your second & fifth graders for history also? I'm asking because that may be your springboard to leap from for what topics to cover in science.

Have you listed out what topics or area of science you'd like to cover - that too can be a good start to piece together things needed if you don't want to buy a packaged curriculum.

Nakia - I used The Scientist's Apprentice one year when my kids were younger and it was great. It covers Astronomy, Anatomy, Oceanography, and Earth Science in one year. It is adaptable to different ages. Here is more info:

http://www.shekinahcc.com/page588.html

I have the book and I'm not using it. You are welcome to look at/have mine (I can leave it at dh's Candler store for you).

Edited by MamaT
typo

Have you looked at BFSU? The current book is K-2 but could be extended for your 5th grader. But the author is supposedly releasing the 3-6 book this summer. It's one book and you get other books from the library etc but it covers four disciplines of science at once and beautifully shows the interrelatedness. There are many threads here on BFSU. OH and the book is about $25.

How exactly does BFSU work? Do you have to go hunt down library books to go with the topics? Our library is severely lacking in quality children's books, so I can't depend on it to be much help. Do you have to come up with a lot of supplies? It does look like what I'm looking for!

Are you combining your second & fifth graders for history also? I'm asking because that may be your springboard to leap from for what topics to cover in science.

Have you listed out what topics or area of science you'd like to cover - that too can be a good start to piece together things needed if you don't want to buy a packaged curriculum.

I am combining them in SL core 3. I haven't really listed out the topics I want to cover. We haven't really done much formal science study, and so I think we just need a really good overview of science topics. We tried Apologia and didn't really love the immersion method.

Nakia - I used The Scientist's Apprentice one year when my kids were younger and it was great. It covers Astronomy, Anatomy, Oceanography, and Earth Science in one year. It is adaptable to different ages. Here is more info:

http://www.shekinahcc.com/page588.html

I have the book and I'm not using it. You are welcome to look at/have mine (I can leave it at dh's Candler store for you).

That is so kind! Do you know if I can see sample pages online anywhere?

I am combining them in SL core 3. I haven't really listed out the topics I want to cover. We haven't really done much formal science study, and so I think we just need a really good overview of science topics. We tried Apologia and didn't really love the immersion method.

Since you haven't done much formally, perhaps a good intro to each area - earth & space, biology, chemistry and physics?

Real Science 4 Kids has a bundle with the bio, chem & physics (level 1 would probably be a good option) and then round out with earth & space books ... it looks like Sonlight 3 has emphasis on American History, so you could get into inventors from the US for each area/time period you're working on throughout the year.