Menu

How to incorporate ART for art college bound ds

Ok....my almost 14 yo ds is starting hs this fall. He will begin with BJU dvd's for his main curriculum. However, i need to incorporate a strong Art component into his studies. He is wanting to go to art college. He is a passionate cartoonist and stop motion animator. I have had him working through Artistic Pursuits in 8th grade. We are in an area that has very little access to live art classes - 1.5 hour drive would be closest decent classes. Any suggestions on how to give him what he needs to be prepared for art college?:confused:

Academy of Art University has online classes available for high school students. I think it's about $250 per semester for 2 classes and some of the units are transferable if the student decides to attend their program after graduation.

My 12 year old daughter takes adult classes at the local art league. Most of the teachers there are professional artists. To make her more comfortable in that environment, I take the classes with her. Her work far surpasses mine! :)

Another good resource is the book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." It's been around for a long time and is still used at the college level even for art majors. I have an older version and it steps you through drawing assignments. Although I find that particular book excellent for developing the skill of drawing, I'm not so sure that a book based curriculum in general would be all that helpful for developing as an artist.

You also might try visiting an art show/sale in your area. You may find artists there that would be willing to work with your child and/or will know of some other local resources.

Laurel in CA and LunaLee....thanks for your suggestions...I will look into these...I'm not so concerned about the art history....he's a history buff and LOVES facts about his favorite topics. My main concern is getting the quality art instruction he needs. Most art colleges tend to expect a fairly "general" art portfolio....basic drawing/art skills. I guess if we consider colleges that specialize in animation, perhaps that would look more at his animation work that he's been doing.

DebbS...thanks for your reply...we have that book...i haven't yet assigned it to him...so that would be a good place to start...however, we have nothing in the way of art sales/shows in our area...i would have to take him over an hour away. Perhaps we will need to consider this in his senior year...???

Did you consider the Art Instruction Schools? Charles Scultz, the creator of Peanuts, did correspondence courses from them and endowed them with a lot of money. They take children as young as 14.

These books may be too basic for your son, but I have Cartooning for Kids by Mike Artell. There's also Art for Kids: Cartooning by Art Roche. Also your library may have "Imagineering" books, written by Disney animators, which may give him an inside look into the field.