Menu

summer reading suggestions for 3rd grader and 7th grader

Aoife

I am looking for some really good selections for my DSDs to read this summer. They are not strong readers and HATE reading but we want them to gain better reading comprehension and expose them to more meaty books then picture books and diary of a wimpy kid style books. We will have them m-f every week from morning till 5pm so they will have ample time to read.

Also I do an in-home daycare type thing and was wondering if there are good books that would work for readers for the olders to read aloud to the little ones (ages 3,4 and 2 18 month olds)

thanks for the help! :)

My nine year old likes the series The Ranger's Apprentice. Dh and I have also read them all and enjoyed them. When I was your SD's ages, I liked The Boxcar Children and The Babysitter's Club.

For kids who don't think they like reading, I think it's more important to help them find things they like before you move on to meaty books.

Mine have just finished 3rd and 7th. They both have enjoyed the Lightening Thief series.

:iagree: I was just going to suggest the Lightning Thief books for the 7th grader. My almost 12-yos loved this series (they're even going to have a Percy Jackson themed bday party). It had the added benefit of getting them really excited about Greek mythology, and if your dsd is a reluctant reader, this might be a good pick because "everyone" is reading them.

Highlands Latin School has it's summer reading list online. It's broken up by grade, and has a great, and varied selection. So as to conserve space, I am only posting the list for 3rd graders.

Rising 3rd Graders

Owls in the Family, 91 p.

Encyclopedia Brown, 100 p. (7 book series)

Stuart Little, 131 p.

Homer Price, 149 p.

Mr. Popper’s Penguins, 139 p.

The Cricket in Times Square, 160 p.

Rabbit Hill, 120 p.

Betsy-Tacy, 144 p. (10 book series)

Grandma’s Attic, 140 p. (7 books series)

The Midnight Fox, 134 p.

Winnie-the-Pooh, 161 p.

Indian in the Cupboard, 184 p. (5 book series)

The Borrowers, 192 p. (5 book series)

Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook, 224 p.

The Railway Children, 267 p.

Pinocchio, 261 p.

Sign of the Beaver, 144 p. Little House in the Big Woods

Little House on the Prairie

The Story of Dr. Doolittle, 150 p. (7 book series), Hugh Lofting

Seaman’s Journal: On the Trail with Lewis and Clark, 32 p.