Menu

IEW - opinions please on using this program. Have you had good results with

it? I am thinking of using it with a very reluctant 13yob. I would like to hear the positives and negatives please.

Thanks,

Tami

I am using IEW History based writing Medieval with my 13 yo ds. He was writing phobic...and I mean OY VEY!!!! It was bad....

This same son was reading at 3 1/2 and couldn't write his name until he was six.

Everytime he picked up a pencil, he would freeze.

IEW helped give him the structure he needed...he knows EXACTLY what is expected of him because of the checklists and I am now able to teach him to edit his papers without it being personal...He knows every paper will be revised...edited re-written...etc.

I am so happy with IEW I am planning on using the next set with him and will use IEW for all of my children...I wish I would have done this sooner....

I give it my biggest thumbs up!!

~~Faithe

with my 11 yo 6th grader. I watched the TWSS video set and then started with the Ancient History Based Writing Lessons. We have both loved IEW because the program builds a methodology slowly.

The history based lessons have been perfect for us because my son doesn't enjoy creative writing. I really have a hard time getting him to make up stories, for example. He loves to write about the Romans, Medieval battles, etc.

There haven't been any negatives for us yet, but I am curious to see how my son will do in a year or two after we've used IEW.

HTH,

Brenda

Pros: The program gives a systematic, step-by-step approach to writing. It is in bite-sized chunks and is excellent for a reluctant writer or a child with learning disabilities. It is also good for a parent who is unsure of how to teach writing.

The program for teaching structure is very good.

It comes with DVD's so that the parent can watch the DVD's and take notes in the notebook. The DVD's will show you how to teach things exactly.

You get taught how to do the lessons in the basic package. The other stuff (like the Ancient History lessons) are offered as later add-ons. However, the whole point of the basic package is that you should be able to use it across the curriculum. I've found that to be true. I would wait to purchase the any add-on's until you've used the basic program.

Cons: It's expensive.

The DVD's have great material in them, but were recorded before a live audience. The speaker also gets off-topic fairly often, or puts in "filler" stuff that is probably personable in person, but annoying (imo) in a DVD. Additionally, some of the best teaching tips aren't even on the outline. I'd recommend having blank paper handy for notes in addition to the notes in the outline. You DO need the DVD's to understand the approach. The notes in the book will not make sense without it.

I do not agree with the approach taken with the style portion of the course. The approach is such that several different techniques are taught and then required in every paper (often every paragraph.) These include things used rarely by good writers, such as using an "ly" word as a sentence opener. If you actually follow the check-lists, you end up with overly flowerly writing that is in need of a good editing job. The philosophy behind that is that the students will naturally learn to use the styliztic techniques in proper proportions eventually. I'm not so sure. I don't want to teach bad style on the way to good style. Doesn't make sense to me. So I've greatly modified the style portion. Teaching things like use of strong verbs and adjectives is great. Lots of "ly" words--sounds like the Hardy Boys. :ack2:

I am wondering how easy it is going to be to teach with this. I am not very confident when it comes to teaching writing. I

Thanks,

Tami

Tami,

I'd suggest watching the first few tapes/DVDs in the TWSS set so that you can understand the method. Pudewa goes through the teaching procedure in a lecture format and does actual exercises with the audience, so you will see how to "teach" the method -- it's not really that hard. After you watch the first couple of tapes, you can decide if you want your son to watch some parts, too. Since he's 13 yo, he would probably be able to follow along and understand the approach himself from watching the tapes.

I wouldn't suggest watching all the tapes/DVDs at once in the beginning, unless you have a lot of time and are interested. I think it's less confusing to watch a couple of them and then get started with the program. As your son progresses through the lessons, you can watch more TWSS to keep ahead of where he is with the actual lessons.

The Ancient History Based Lessons are very easy to use and are gentle at the start. They solve that problem of "I don't know what to write" or "I don't know how to get started". Once you have the basic method down, they show you some "dress ups", things like stronger verbs and interesting adjectives that make your writing sound more sophisticated. They only require you to put one or two of these in each paragraph, so the task doesn't seem that daunting, and the child can be successful from the start.

The introductory lesson is on interesting adjectives where the result is a couple of short poems. The plans then move into lessons where the student is taught, step by step, how to make a key-word outline from a passage. For the next several lessons, the passages are on Ancient History topics (like Egypt, Mummies, etc.) and are provided in the book. Once he's got the outlining method down, he puts away the original passage from the book, and rewrites the passage on that topic in his own words.

After he's practiced this outlining and paragraph writing, they introduce multi-paragraph reports. The lessons towards the end of the book have the student using his own source materials. My son used library books. Once he understood the method, this part of the course was straight forward.

HTH,

Brenda