Menu

Can any of you eBay/PayPal gurus tell me if I am still protected if item is a gift?

Can any of you eBay/PayPal gurus tell me if I am still protected if item is a gift?

Buyer e-mailed me after auction ended and asked if I ship it to a different addy - to his sister in the same state.

I am worried this will void my protection as the addy on his payment is his.

Anyone know the regs on this? I looked and couldn't find them.

Tell him that you will hold on to the item until he adds her address to his paypal, and has it confirmed. If he's willing to put up a bank account the confirmation will take 1 or 2 business days (meaning mid-week since tomorrow is a bank holiday).

If he's not willing to put a bank account up then he has to wait for something to be mailed from Paypal to his sister's address, open it and get the code to verify that address thus making it "confirmed". Obviously, not something he may want to do if it's supposed to be a gift.

If you mail to a non-confirmed then you WILL lose if he contests it, even though you have emails showing that he requested it.

If he's not willing to do the address confirmation, then I absolutely wouldn't do it....first and foremost because of the lost protection, but also think about....if his sister is in the same town, then what's the big deal about it being mailed to him and he delivers it. Might feel different about that if she was far away as he'd have to wait for your delivery then turn around and reship it....but if she's in the same town, he can hand deliver it, so it really loses all the importance of HAVING to be delivered to her house.

Nope....confirm it through a bank account as you only mail it to confirmed addresses. He can remove the bank account at a later date if he's worried about hacking or whatever.

Also, be sure that all correspondance between you goes through the ebay mail system...meaning log in and send your mail through their system. They use that mail as part of any disputes....and he may just delay this thing long enough to complain that you aren't shipping.

I agree that transactions are becoming more complicated...and I think it's because even the normally honest folk are either scared you're trying to rip them off, or they're angling to do it to you. Didn't use to be so hard to tell the difference. :confused: