Menu

Online Great Books/Latin/Christian Worldview college?

Guest jeanette in KS

Guest jeanette in KS

I am searching for some online possibilities for my daughter who will

graduate in 2011. Her favorite classes have been ones like Starting Points, Latina Christiana 1 and 2, Traditional Logic 1 and 2 and

literature. She would like to incorporate those loves in a Christian college

online setting. We have looked at Harrison Middleton, but it doesn't

seem to be Christian. We like Liberty University online, but they do not have Great Books or Latin. Hillsdale College looks wonderful, but they do not have any online courses. Biola University has a dual enrollment Great Books program (forgot the name) and also it appears they have a college program involving Great Books. We've looked at Bryan University to obtain college credit for Understanding the Times. I am not sure that Biola or Bryan has Latin. Anyone familiar with any of these schools or have any other thoughts for us? Through our Homeschool co-op, she will be taking Henle Latin 1, Understanding the Times, a literature class incorporating Cowan's Invitation to the Classics, and the third year of Diana Waring's history for her senior year.

We do Aleks for

math and Apologia for science (doing physical science this summer and

biology next year). Math and science are her weak areas. I should also

mention she has Asperger's and math dyscalculia so we will be updating

her testing with the psychologist as she will need accomodations in

college. She has not taken the ACT and I'm reluctant to have her do so

with her math difficulties. She really wants to go to college, but her

interests are so different than anything she could take at the local

junior college that we began searching online possibilities.

Thanks for any suggestions and for reading this lengthy post,

Jeanette in KS

Belhaven's two year worldview/art/lit/history program which is offered as dual credit (24 credit hours) through the Potter's School:

http://www.belhaven.edu/high-scholars/dual_credit.htm

This is a good portion of Belhaven's core curriculum (gen. ed. courses). She might be able do this at home over the next two years with jc to round out the package, then transfer to Belhaven to finish up her last 2 or 2.5 years of college. You'd have to check with them and iron out details. They do a lot of online education and adult education, so they'd be well equipped to consider something out of the norm.

hth

Could she take the SAT? It was pretty normal in my school for the mathy/sciency students to score badly in the Reading portion of the SAT and the humanities-oriented students to score badly in the math. The nice thing about the SAT is that the scores come in three pieces, not all rolled into one like the ACT. SAT IIs is another possibility.