Menu

Switching from OPGTR to McRuffy after consonants

Aoife

OK so DS is halfway through OPGTR but hates it now as it's too blk and white and boring for him. We added in AAS and he LOVES that but wants more and wants more readers and games. I've been looking into McRuffy phonics but starting with the transition lessons since DS has a very solid foundation in the consonant sounds and the short vowel sounds.

Now for future kiddos ( I have 2 more that will go through this once they are old enough) Does it sound crazy to start OPGTR and AAS then switch out OPGTR for McRuffy after the initial consonant and short vowel sounds are learned? I want the kiddos to be asking for lessons not dreading it. :p As it is now DS wants to learn more on how to read so badly but always says to me "i need something else mommy" when I pull out OPGTR.

thanks!

I'm kinda in the same boat as you as far as switching. I started out with OPG then about 1/2 way through my dd took off with reading and hated using that book. I switched to Spell to Write and Read. I don't call it phonics we call it spelling. LOL I was going to start my next dd out with SWR but is requires being able to write first, which I don't agree with. So I think I'll go back to OPG with my second girl.

Not sure if that was much help to your questions. But the beauty of homeschooling is that you are not bound to one curriculum. If it's a good fit in the beginning but you need to change I don't see why that's a bad thing.

Well we are in the 2nd workbook so I guess that is the transition lessons. Now my suggestion would be to make sure they know simple words like the, has, is, and so forth. Then introduce them to reading the color words, question marks, and an introduction to the 's (just enough so they know when they see it, it means it belongs to someone), double ll ss tt, ck blend. I think that covers it. I just flipped through our finished workbook 1, so that is what stood out to me.

Edited by hsmom

thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think we wil end up doing a blend of the three programs. Stopped OPGTR now and continuing on with AAS and then adding in McRuffy. The only thing that makes me waffle is the decision to get only the transition set when I still will have 2 more kids to go through the system. If I do just get the transition set can you get just the first half of the program later on down the line ( we are talking years here as DS2 is only 14 months LOL)