Menu

Looking for a hands-on, Christian science program for Grade 1

I've had 2 science curricula recommended to me - Christian Liberty Science and Critical Thinking Through Science. I'd vastly prefer a religious curricula, since I'm not particularly good at remembering to "work things into" a curricula if they're not spelled out right in front of me. ;) However, I've also been told that Critical Thinking Through Science is much more hands-on, whereas Christian Liberty Science is more book-based. My children are visual-spatial and tactile learners.

Does anyone use CLS, and if so, were there options given for more hands-on study? And if not - are there any Christian-based science curricula that are very hands-on?

I've had 2 science curricula recommended to me - Christian Liberty Science and Critical Thinking Through Science. I'd vastly prefer a religious curricula, since I'm not particularly good at remembering to "work things into" a curricula if they're not spelled out right in front of me. ;) However, I've also been told that Critical Thinking Through Science is much more hands-on, whereas Christian Liberty Science is more book-based. My children are visual-spatial and tactile learners.

Does anyone use CLS, and if so, were there options given for more hands-on study? And if not - are there any Christian-based science curricula that are very hands-on?

I would recommend the Young Explorer's Series by Jeanie Fulbright. She is Christian. As for being hands on... We only own the Astronomy book. She has a project or two with each chapter. She also puts out a notebook that has extra hands on activities to do along with copy work, puzzles, and mini books to put together. She has narration ideas in the book. I plan to do Astronomy with my second grader this year. It looks like loads of fun. Oh, and there is a schedule in the front of the Notebook. It has you doing science twice a week. It does not include all the extra projects listed though.

We used A Reason For Science this year, for my DD's first grade science. We enjoyed it- an experiment each week, field trip suggestions, plus devotional each week, plus looking/observing materials for the week on day one. Definitely solid and hands on. HTH!!!!!