Menu

Do you think Song School Latin would work for an 8 week Latin unit for a gifted 9yo?

Dd9 studied Latin in second grade, using Lively Latin Big Book I. We chose to just study English grammar for third grade. She is going to be going to public school for the first time next year to attend a gifted magnet class. I would still really like to study Latin with her. So, I was thinking we might do an 8 week course this summer. If she were going to be staying home next year, I would have chosen Latin For Children A, but since it has to be a quick crash course, I'm thinking Song School Latin might work. I looked at sample lessons online, and I feel that she is mature enough, and familiar enough with the concept of Latin grammar and with Latin vocab. to be able to do one lesson each day, rather than one lesson each week as the curr. suggests. If we did this we could easily finish it in 8 weeks.

I'm thinking that we will need at least a few months of ps to adjust to the schedule and routine, find out how much homework she will have, and see if we will actually have time to afterschool any subjects. She is a competitive gymnast, and I would like for her to continue private music lessons, so I think it might be difficult to find time to afterschool during the school year. But, eventually my hope would be that we continue studying Latin using LFC.

So, do you think Song School Latin would be too easy for a gifted 9yo, too repetitive after using LL, too much to do in 8 weeks, or just about right? Thanks for any opinions.

I think it would be way beneath her. SSL covers a few dozen basic words in their most basic forms, no grammar, no translation... The songs are cute enough, but your dd could probably cover the actual content of SSL in a couple of days.

Perhaps Minimus instead?

If she's already used another Latin program SSL would be too easy. It's a basic intro course that just gets some vocabulary taught, and some familiarity with the language. It does it's job fabulously, but it wouldn't be the direction you need.

Personally I'd just try kicking up LFC this summer. By the time school starts she'll be comfortable enough with it that doing a little bit in the evenings won't take much effort. My kids frequently save it for evening so they can do it with their dad. The daily requirements don't take much time, and you could spread them out further if needed.

I'd recommend Minimus... We're almost finished with the first book and my daughter loved it. We're going to try "Learning Latin Through Mythology" this summer. I have no idea whether it's a good option or not, but it might be something to look into.

We're going to try "Learning Latin Through Mythology" this summer. I have no idea whether it's a good option or not, but it might be something to look into.

As a summer supplement, I think LLTM can be fun. It's not systematic and doesn't teach grammar. But all of the tools are there on the page for translating very simplified language while learning some basic stories. I usually use it alongside Minimus (especially where the myths in Minimus overlap), but I think it will work well for the summer between Minimus and a more rigorous course.