Menu

Starting a classical/WTM education with an older child

I was having a conversation with a homeschool friend about homeschooling and "styles" and what we hoped to accomplish with our children.

She commented that she would love to start following a WTM education after recently reading the book, but her son is 12yrs old and they have had a fairly eclectic and relaxed schedule up to now. They've done the "3Rs" but skipped around for science and history. No foreign languages or latin. She does have 2 younger ones too.

We both wondered how she would implement WTM at this point. Should she just start with SOTW 1 and go from there?

Start with science as planned in WTM for 6th grade or go back and try to "catch up"? I didn't want to discourage her from going forward with this but I didn't really know what to tell her. So came here for some advice.

She would stick with some of the programs (grammar, math) she's already using because they work, but they may not be as "rigorous" as R&S or others mentioned.

She also liked the Writing without Fear CD I loaned her but her son hasn't had any narration/dictation/copywork as suggested. His writing does need work. Should she start with WWE to get "in line" with writing?

Thoughts on this? I know she would great appreciate any feedback from others that have gone through this and I'd love to hear thoughts on implementation.

Thanks!

I am starting with my son next year (4th grade) and we are just going to jump in! We have been going through SOTW 1 lightly for 2 years, so I am planning on just starting with 2 next year. I am also starting Latin next year. We began a new grammar program about a month and a half ago (MCT), so we are just going to pick up where we leave off this year. Since we will be cyclling through history again, I'm not worried about him missing something. We also have done lots of narration/copy work before now, so that isn't something new for us. I'd say just tell her to jump in where ever she feels comfortable.