Menu

Singapore Science - MPH - what do I need?

KLA

Next year we will be doing 4B and 5B since it fits best for Physics. Do I need the Activity book and Activity Guide and Higher Order Thinking Skills in addition to textbook and workbook? I was thinking I would not buy the Teacher's guide. Thanks.

KLA

yes, get the activity guides, too. The text tells you when to stop and do a particular activity that goes with the reading. I save the workbook to do at the end of each chapter, and then have dd do the "revision" (test) in the workbook.

If you skip 5A, some of 5b might need explaining, as the program will assume you have worked through 5A.

I never did find the higher order booklets - :-(

Next year we will be doing 4B and 5B since it fits best for Physics. Do I need the Activity book and Activity Guide and Higher Order Thinking Skills in addition to textbook and workbook? I was thinking I would not buy the Teacher's guide. Thanks.

KLA

The Higher Order Thinking books are available only for 4th and 5th grade. I really thought it worth while to buy them since they offer some very well-thought out and challenging questions. (If I recall correctly they are done in test format, so it's like a more challenging version of the test) I felt my son really benefited from these stumpers and was disappointed that this isn't available at other levels.

I was thinking of just doing 4B and 5B to get in as much physical science as I can. Would that work well do you think? And is the activity guide like an teachers manual for the activity book? Thats my guess from the sample pages online. Thank you for all your help so far!

I was thinking of just doing 4B and 5B to get in as much physical science as I can. Would that work well do you think? And is the activity guide like an teachers manual for the activity book? Thats my guess from the sample pages online. Thank you for all your help so far!

The activity guide tells you what supplies you need to get together for each activity. It was the most unused item that I had since I could figure out from the activity book what items I'd need. One supplement that I did use in the 6th grade but didn't for the earlier grades is "More Notes: Teacher's Handbook." It fleshes out the information in the textbook for the teacher by giving more details and sometimes historical context of the scientific principles. I'm pretty sure someone with a degree in science would not need this. Eventually my son just started reading the the handbook for himself. :tongue_smilie:

I think you will be pleased with the lessons on physical science in this series.