Menu

Spielvogel and/or Omnibus people - I have some questions

What is the difference between the Western Civilizations book and the World History volumes? I can figure out the obvious, that the WH would cover the world versus just the west. But as far as usage - is it just up to whether I want my student to have a more "western" flavored history education or a global one? I am seriously considering Omnibus, which I know uses Western Civ. Is it possible to use World History instead (as I am more a "Global" gal than just "Western")?

I'm searching "Spielvogel" to read other posts, and I'm "looking inside" on Amazon but any insight anyone can give is most welcome. I am asking not just for my oldest dd, for whom I'm designing a two-year world history and lit course for her last two high school years, but also planning ahead for my middle dd, with whom I will most likely use Omnibus.

Thanks for helping straighten out my convoluted history brain. ;)

ETA: And, quite frankly, I want to use Spielvogel to educte myself so I can better educate my daughters.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Which World History book are you talking about? World History: Human Odyssey by Spielvogel or World History by Duiker & Spielvogel? I have Western Civilizations and had no idea about the World History texts. From the reviews it seems like the World History: Human Odyssey is very similar to the Western Civilizations text but the World History he collaborates with Duiker is more wide reaching.

I'm interested in what others have to say. Now I want the World History by Duiker & Spielvogel in addition to Western Civilizations:drool5:

This is a university level book--dd found it a stretch in grade 9, but grew into it. We are using it over 4 years, which leaves plenty of time to supplement with other material. I think you could use this book over 2 years with an older high school student. I'm fairly certain they only use parts of it for a 1 semester university course--it's available in several parts for those courses.

I haven't used the other books, so I can't comment on them. I selected this because I wanted world, not western, coverage, and wanted something we could use comfortably over the full 4 years.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

From comparing the contents and page samples with my Western Civilizations book I get the impression that the parts of the text Spielvogel is responsible for is a condensed version of what is in Western Civilizations text. The first few pages of examples online are pretty much identical to the first few pages of Western Civilizations and "his" chapters closely mirror many of the chapters in Western Civlizations but don't have all the same subdivisions. I wish I could find a text written by Duiker that contained the chapters he was responsible for but in more depth because I'd like to have more depth from each author but it doesn't appear he has written such a text so I'll probably buy the World History text to augment the Western Civilizations I already have. I won't be using it with Omnibus (I'll be using it with TRISMS, which is focused on the entire world) so I don't know that it would be compatible but suspect it might be since you just read sections of it and so much seems similar.

Are you using it with the Omnibus course?

Well, I have two intentions. I believe I will be doing Omnibus with my middle dd, but not for a few years. In the meantime, I am designing a world history course for my oldest dd to do for her last two years of high school. Even though this one is the more "urgent," it's the less likely, as this dd would prefer to learn history from some quirky angle versus by reading straight through a "textbooky" spine. Still, I would like to look at it for consideration for her, too.

Everyone is so helpful!

From comparing the contents and page samples with my Western Civilizations book I get the impression that the parts of the text Spielvogel is responsible for is a condensed version of what is in Western Civilizations text. The first few pages of examples online are pretty much identical to the first few pages of Western Civilizations and "his" chapters closely mirror many of the chapters in Western Civlizations but don't have all the same subdivisions. I wish I could find a text written by Duiker that contained the chapters he was responsible for but in more depth because I'd like to have more depth from each author but it doesn't appear he has written such a text so I'll probably buy the World History text to augment the Western Civilizations I already have. I won't be using it with Omnibus (I'll be using it with TRISMS, which is focused on the entire world) so I don't know that it would be compatible but suspect it might be since you just read sections of it and so much seems similar.

Cheryl,

This is so helpful - thank you. Just to add to the mix, TRISMS is another one I'm considering for my middle dd. She looooooves research, so I think TRISMS would appeal to her, but I'm not satisfied with what I can see online to evaluate it. (Not satisfied with the quantity, not the quality - I would like to be able to see more.)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Cheryl,

This is so helpful - thank you. Just to add to the mix, TRISMS is another one I'm considering for my middle dd. She looooooves research, so I think TRISMS would appeal to her, but I'm not satisfied with what I can see online to evaluate it. (Not satisfied with the quantity, not the quality - I would like to be able to see more.)

You're welcome:001_smile: We are just finishing TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World and LOVE it! I have learned SO MUCH!! I looked at Omnibus but chose TRISMS because of the researching and the focus on chronological world history and humanities. I love that you study everything about a civilization in detail, not just touch on things or people groups here and there. Literature is also part of the course but it doesn't seem as involved as Omnibus, or at least not the main part as it does with Omnibus.

I don't care for TRISMS History Makers course nearly as well (the Jr HS course) because it's focus is different. You study all of world history over one (or two) years and do so by studying explorers, inventors and scientists. It's research based with questionnaires but they have a different focus. I don't think I'll use it with my younger children, I'd rather spend more time on other history programs and then switch to TRISMS high school curriculum.

You're welcome:001_smile: We are just finishing TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World and LOVE it! I have learned SO MUCH!! I looked at Omnibus but chose TRISMS because of the researching and the focus on chronological world history and humanities. I love that you study everything about a civilization in detail, not just touch on things or people groups here and there. Literature is also part of the course but it doesn't seem as involved as Omnibus, or at least not the main part as it does with Omnibus.

I don't care for TRISMS History Makers course nearly as well (the Jr HS course) because it's focus is different. You study all of world history over one (or two) years and do so by studying explorers, inventors and scientists. It's research based with questionnaires but they have a different focus. I don't think I'll use it with my younger children, I'd rather spend more time on other history programs and then switch to TRISMS high school curriculum.

Yes, I feel the same way re: History Makers based on what I've seen. However, the dd in question is more interested in exploreres, inventors and scientists than any other people, so it's an interesting consideration. We haven't even been all the way through American history, so we're working on that now.

I wonder if it would be possible to do TRISMS *plus* Omnibus, for a world history scope plus a great books study? The flexibility of homeschooling is the biggest blessing, yet it makes my mind spin!

I'd love to continue this conversation if you have any more insight. Feel free to PM me if you think that would be better than continuing online.

Hey - where are you in SoCal? I'm the city of Orange. If we're close together, maybe I can look at your copy of TRISMS!;)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Since we're kind of going OT I'll PM you:001_smile: Hopefully more will respond to your original questions!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I finally got around to comparing World History to Western Civilization. Both authors of World History (Spielvogel and Duiker) author different sections. Spielvogel's sections are pretty similar to those in Western Civilization, just condensed in order to fit in Duiker's sections. I haven't looked through it in it's entirety but that what I saw in the sections I compared. Since I haven't used Omnibus I can't say with certainty that you could use the World History text with it but suspect it would be possible. I hope that helps!