Menu

Pre Logic curriculum questions

Shasta Mom

I didn't like Red Herrings all that much and I think it tends to lend itself to group discussion better than just discussion between a couple of people. I do like the Mind Benders and I think you can easily do all of a particular series in a year. I do think that the warm-up book helps you learn how to work with the grids, although it's much simpler than even the A1 book.

Regena

I know that the co-op I went to did Red Herring, but I never personally did it so I cannot say anything about it.

I do use Mindbenders and Building Thinking Skills. My sons are in Building Thinking Skills Level one and Level two. My older son has completed the A series of Mindbenders and will go to the B series next year. My younger son did the Beginner and Warm Up series of Mindbenders.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

My son and his friend each flew through the Mindbenders "A" series. We've just started on the B1 book and it's taking quite a bit longer. We did't try the Red Herrings though. The first set of Mindbenders were given to us for free. And if I remember correctly, WTM says Red Herrings are a nice supplement, not a replacement for Mindbenders. So being the cheapskate I am, I didn't buy it.

Good luck!

Ds11 (5th grade) is using them: Mindbenders level A and Red Herrings Bk. A1.

Mindbenders problems seem more like logic or pre-logic problems. Grids are provided to help you eliminate possibilities to arrive at the answer.

Red Herrings problems seem more like questions where you have to figure out the trick in order to answer it. Here's a question from it (Bk. A1) that ds11 is working on now: "What occurs in the middle of each month, in every season except summer, and happens in nighttime, but never in daylight?" The teacher is supposed to dialogue with the student to get him "think in new and different directions without giving away the premise of the story." The student is supposed to learn how to ask the right questions.

I think you can also look at sample pages at the Critical Thinking Press website. (Red Herrings)

Ds11 really likes doing the Red Herrings; he wouldn't want to stop. But it is an extra, IMO. There are only 32 problems to solve in this workbook.

HTH!