Menu

Are AP prep books also useful for CLEP?

We recently found out we have a CLEP testing center under two hours away and I am looking into tailoring some of our high school classes to be able to CLEP them. They seem easier than AP exams and a lot less hassle to schedule.

When it comes to studying for CLEP, are AP study guides a good resource? Or maybe I should just ask, what did you use to successfully pass CLEP exams?

Dana

We recently found out we have a CLEP testing center under two hours away and I am looking into tailoring some of our high school classes to be able to CLEP them. They seem easier than AP exams and a lot less hassle to schedule.

When it comes to studying for CLEP, are AP study guides a good resource? Or maybe I should just ask, what did you use to successfully pass CLEP exams?

Dana

http://www.amazon.com/College-Board-Official-Study-Guide/dp/0874477883

This was the 2008 book; there is a new one every year. I checked out this book, and ER did thumb through it. He might have even tried a few math problems, but he didn't really study. He took the CLEP exams for College Math, College Algebra, and Freshman English and easily passed them all, earning credit for 4 college courses--passing the English exam gave him credit for 2 different English courses.

I agree that the AP books are really not a good fit for CLEP study, and that the REA books are great.

My two oldest have taken and scored well on the following CLEPs (& also did APs):

College Algebra

English Composition with essay

Sociology

History of the U. S. I

American Literature

They've used REA guides for all, also the College Board Official CLEP Study Guide book, too. The CB book has general info about CLEPs + sample questions for each book.

Besides the books, they have used instantcert.com's flashcards for Eng. Comp. (not really useful) and Sociology & History of the U.S. I (very useful for these two). Instantcert doesn't have flashcards for College Algebra or American Lit., and has no plans to add them in the future.

A new online study resource is http://www.speedyprep.com. They have American Lit, so they are worth checking out.

My dd also plans to take the Spanish CLEP. There are two levels of credit for each foreign language CLEP: if a student scores from 50-62 (out of 80) for Spanish, 1 year's credit is awarded, and for a score of 63-80, two year's credit is awarded. French and German have slightly different cutoff scores. I haven't found any online study flashcards for Spanish yet, but there is an REA Spanish CLEP book (yay!).

For the first CLEP your student does, get there early! Our local school requires payment for part of the test at the business office (small school but a few minute's walk), and then payment for the other part in the library, where the test is given.

HTH,

GardenMom