Menu

Latin Curriculum

Guest rubilynne4

Guest rubilynne4

ok, so what is good/bad about Latin's Not So Tough? is Lively Latin better?

is Lively Latin christian or secular? could i use it with a child younger than 3rd grade (i have a 1st grader and 4th grader). thanks.

Guest rubilynne4

hmmm, just wondering. did i do something wrong? i've posted a couple of things to day, and i reposted one thing twice because i posted in the wrong place. i just noticed i got alot of views, but no responses/replies. inlooking at other posts most ppl have gotten replies to their questions. i'm new here, so i don't know a whole lot about posting, or wtm. thanks for any feedback.

You're fine, most likely your thread hasn't been read by someone who is knows the program well enough to comment.

I'm reading everything regarding Latin myself right now. So, I'll be watching this watching this thread!

It's a secular program, with audio files are available for both classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations. You could start with a child younger than 3rd grade, but I'd only do so if that child is reading well. Even if you go through not expecting mastery, your younger child would probably benefit from the exposure, and since much of the work can be done orally, writing shouldn't be much of an issue. However, IMHO it's less likely that your younger child would be ready for LL2 in a year or two, as it ramps up considerably relative to LL1.

I haven't used LNST, but I have used the first book of their Greek program (it only covers the alphabet). From the samples, the programs are similar, so I'll offer my observations:

Good:

- Very low-key and not intimidating (I have heard there is a leap around level 3 / 4)

- Independent

- A check box on each page reminds the student to review their flashcards

- Completely open and go

- VERY short lessons

- Not much writing (only 1 page per lesson, and its mostly white space).

Not as Good:

- It seems people have issues around lvl 3. (Grammar is introduced and the explanations are not clear.)

- No cultural or historical information - VERY bare bones

- Its hard to tell how far the student will get from the samples, will they read? translate?

- Not much explanation (unless its in the teacher's book, which I do not own)

- Consumable workbook (DS is writing on a sheet protector). Keep in mind I dislike workbooks. :P

If you want to dabble, or have a child wanting to learn but you don't have the time to plan/teach, LNST is worth a shot. The books are not very expensive, and you can see if the child is committed. (The first book is JUST the alphabet, most people skip that. If your 1st grader reads well and just wants to join in, LNST might work well for him/her.)

I haven't used Lively Latin, but if GSWL doesn't work out next year, that is probably where I will turn. It looks fun, and I'm not a big DVD person.

Best of luck choosing!

Amy

hmmm, just wondering. did i do something wrong? i've posted a couple of things to day, and i reposted one thing twice because i posted in the wrong place. i just noticed i got alot of views, but no responses/replies. inlooking at other posts most ppl have gotten replies to their questions. i'm new here, so i don't know a whole lot about posting, or wtm. thanks for any feedback.

I don't know about the Latin programs you asked about. ; )

We started with prima; hated it.

Moved to LfC A and Stellae (the introductory level for LL at Lonepine)and loved them both.

Moved to LfCB and Lingua Latina (at lonepine) online but couldn't keep up with the work of both and dropped LfC B.

We love, love, love, Lingua Latina!

Never used the other ones.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

Guest rubilynne4

It's really not practical to keep a first and fourth grader together in a skill building subject like Latin, anymore than you could keep them together for math or reading.

You could do LL with the oldest and just have the younger one memorize the vocabulary or you could do something like Song School Latin with the first grader. It is just vocabulary too, but in a very fun format and the vocabulary is applicable to the life of a young student.

thanks for the adivce, i never thought of it that way, but i def would not try to combine my 1st and 4th for reading or math. and thanks to everyone for the info. i will probably go with LL for my older, and do rosetta stone for older and younger (i know, i know not alot of you like this approach, but as a supplement or fun intro for a younger i think it's ok.) you guys are so awesome.