Menu

Need help figuring out a full credit for 9th grade English...

My understanding is that reading, writing and grammar are all components that consistute a credit of English.

If I were to use IEW SICC-C with CLE 9th grade English (one semester course - 1/2 credit) and CLE Literature (one semseter 1/2 credit) would that be make up two credits? How do you assign credits for IEW SICC-C? We are used to the IEW format and I'd like to continue with it. Would using IEW alongside CLE English be too much?

I'm confused about getting a credit of "English".

I don't know about SCI-CC, but this is what my boy did for hist English I credit:

Analytical Grammar seasons 1 and 2

Vocabulit

IEW SWI-C along with some TOG writing and a High School Essay Intensive

TOG literature rhetoric level with some of their cuts to modify the load

This year the first quarter, we did a lot of paragaph writing and one paper. After that we did 3 major papers each quarter.

In ps, the students read one major work and had two major writing projects every 6 weeks. We normally spent a couple of weeks each quarter on grammar.

Hope that helps.

Christine

dd has used IEW since 5th grade and will be going into 10th next year. I think your using Sicc-c along with a literature class would count for a total of 1 credit of English. For grammar, just have a reference book handy to use when writing . Also IEW does ask for quality adjectives, adverbs, etc on their writing check list. Teach the grammar through the writing.

For my dd's 10th grade, since she has already done IEW SICC, I am thinking about using Windows to the World, which is a one semester course along with the Elegant Essay (also one semester or less) along with Lightning Literature american for a total of 1 credit english class.

I just went back and reread your post and saw that you want to use IEW with both CLE English and CLE Literature . At first read, I didn't see the English part. I assume that the English book is grammar and writing. Is there also a lot of writing required in the Literature book? If so, there may be enough writing with the IEW and the lit book. Does your child need the english book for grammar or does your ds or dd just need a reference book? Also will your dc be doing any writing in history class? For example, my dd will be writing a essay each week in history so that along with her IEW Windows to the World and Lightning Literature she should be writing 2 or maybe 3 at the most 5 paragrah papers each week, varying with essays and short research papers.

Edited by Jeannie in NJ

DD will have completed R&S Grammar through grade 7. In looking at the samples of CLE grade 9 English, much of it looks familiar and similar to what we've done this year. R&S Grammar 9 doesn't appeal to us much. Actually, we'd prefer less formal grammar and more writing this year.

Maybe just IEW with a Lightning Literature course(s) would make a better combination?

We haven't decided on history yet, so I don't know how much writing there will be. I'm thinking about Oak Meadow.

DD is technically a rising 8th grader, but b/c of her test scores and work samples, our correspondence school is allowing her to obtain high school credit for some courses, if they are high school level. She really wants to do this, and I feel she's ready for the committment. However, we'd like to choose courses and a schedule that isn't overwhelming for her.

I do like the idea of using an English Handbook, versus a full, formal program. I did think about Analytical Grammar as well, and that may still be an option worth pursuing.

Too many choices! Argh...Thank you, ladies!