Menu

AP testing??

Where do I find out if my dd can take an AP exam? (How do I register her? Is she eligible? Where are they held? Can she do them online?) Do we have to be part of the school system to take them? I'm so confused!

Where do I find out if my dd can take an AP exam? (How do I register her? Is she eligible? Where are they held? Can she do them online?) Do we have to be part of the school system to take them? I'm so confused!

It's basically too late for this year, but next year, what I'd do is call or contact the College Board. They'll probably suggest that you call a high school in your area to arrange for your DD to take the AP exam.

The AP exams are over for this year. You have to register sometime early in the year--like February I think. You can look on the Collegeboard website for high schools near you that offer them. Then call the guidance office and ask for your student to be signed up for the particular test(s) she wants. They are around $85 a piece to take them. You pay that money to the school which is ordering the exams.

AP tests are difficult. They are to show that you know college level material and the formats are sometimes rather idiosyncratic, so it's good to have practiced with a test prep book prior to taking them.

The web site is http://www.collegeboard.com

You can also purchase previous AP tests in their "store." This will help you see what information they are looking for. Most tests expect you to teach and emphasize certain aspects of a subject.

There is also a section on college board called AP Central. You can find it by typing that in their search box. There you will find sample syllabi, course descriptions along with previous essay questions. Some subjects ask the same type of essay questions every yr so you can know what to expect.