Menu

first year of Latin...what should I use?

JessaMae

I was thinking about using Prima Latina and Minimus this year (our first year studying Latin.) My dd's will be in grades 2, 4, and 5. I'm wondering if this will be too easy for my 4 and 5 graders? Should I use something more along the lines of Latin Prep? Any advice/recommendations?

For our first year of latin this year, we used Lively Latin. I taught it to almost the same grade span...2nd, 3rd, and 4th. It has gone well. The 2nd grader needs a *little* extra help sometimes. But, she usually does very well with it. We have enjoyed it.

I was thinking about using Prima Latina and Minimus this year (our first year studying Latin.) My dd's will be in grades 2, 4, and 5. I'm wondering if this will be too easy for my 4 and 5 graders? Should I use something more along the lines of Latin Prep? Any advice/recommendations?

I would use Getting Started With Latin along with Minimus. I wouldn't start out with Latin Prep. I didn't like Lively Latin.

My Latin sequence is Song School Latin in K/1, Minimus in 2nd, Getting Started with Latin in 3rd, Latin for Children A in 4th, and then Latin Prep in 5th. I'm not sure where we'll go once we finish LP 1, 2, & 3.

For our first year of latin this year, we used Lively Latin. I taught it to almost the same grade span...2nd, 3rd, and 4th. It has gone well. The 2nd grader needs a *little* extra help sometimes. But, she usually does very well with it. We have enjoyed it

What do you like about Lively Latin?

I would use Getting Started With Latin along with Minimus. I wouldn't start out with Latin Prep. I didn't like Lively Latin.

What did you dislike about Lively Latin?

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

One idea is to start with Prima Latina. It probably will be easy for the 4th and 5th grader. Yet, it could be a way to make Latin a success your first year if your children find it "easy." You could do a lesson a week, be done in 25 weeks and move on to Latina Christina.