Menu

What is on your reading list for a 10 yo boy?

momtolgd

I think it really depends on his reading level . . . and on whether you're looking for "fun" reading or educational . . . but some on my list for my boys are:

- The Great Brain series

- Half Magic and others by Edward Eager

- The Soup books by Robert Newton Peck

- The Little House books

- The Harry Potter series

Others they've read recently and have enjoyed are pretty much anything by Beverly Cleary, the Sideways Stories books by Louis Sachar, Encyclopedia Brown, and my oldest is just starting on the Lightning Thief.

This past year my son really enjoyed My Side of the Mountain, Where the Red Fern Grows (not if your son is really sensitive), Farmer Boy, and Swiss Family Robinson.

He would say those were his favorites. He loved Where the Red Fern Grows, but got VERY emotional (as in cried for two hours) when he finished reading it. Maybe I should have waited on that one.

If he likes humor, Andrew Clements has some good books for that age (A Week in the woods, Frindle, Lunch Money). My son also enjoyed How to Eat Fried Worms somewhere in 4th/5th grade..

If he likes drama, the Gary Paulsen books are great (Hatchet, Brian's Winter).

For fantasy you could try the Charlie Bone series (by Jenny Nimmo) or Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain (the Disney movie The Black Cauldron is loosely based on one of these books). The Dark is Rising is also part of a fantasy series by Susan Cooper that is popular with boys.

The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula LeGuin is good too.

Roverandom is on of JRR Tolkien's earlier works, but it wasn't published until after many of his other books. It's a fun story!