Menu

more VP Omnibus questions

Kathie in VA

I know some don't think that it covers enough history and yet others say reading the primary sources IS the history. Okay, noted. I'm still flip flopping on this one but for now I can put this part down.

Now I'm wondering what the non-reading portion requires with respect to the history 'lesson'. hmm, what I mean is, What are the discussion questions or papers on wrt history? I did see the online sample but it only seemed to work with the Bible which I think they credit as theology ... so I can't get an idea of how it has the student work on history and for that matter literature. Since it gives credit for literature, does it teach the various terms in literature that say, something like Lightning Literature teaches?

TIA

I know some don't think that it covers enough history and yet others say reading the primary sources IS the history. Okay, noted. I'm still flip flopping on this one but for now I can put this part down.

Now I'm wondering what the non-reading portion requires with respect to the history 'lesson'. hmm, what I mean is, What are the discussion questions or papers on wrt history? I did see the online sample but it only seemed to work with the Bible which I think they credit as theology ... so I can't get an idea of how it has the student work on history and for that matter literature. Since it gives credit for literature, does it teach the various terms in literature that say, something like Lightning Literature teaches?

TIA

The primary emphasis of Omnibus is the study of ideas. So the focus is on the ideas and the worldview presented in a literary work and not necessarily the specific literary elements of the work.

If you want to really understand what the purpose of Omnibus is and how you teach it and what it sets out to accomplish, then I would recommend downloading from www.wordmp3.com the lecture "Omnibus: The Basics" by Ty Fischer. It's a 5 buck download but really explains the program thoroughly. Here is the direct link: http://www.wordmp3.com/details.aspx?id=2962

I have Omnibus 1 in front of me. I plan to read the books used in the Omnibus series over the next two years, so that I'm ready to discuss them with my children when they will start the program in two years. We are waiting, because my older two will be in 7th and 8th grades then and I don't want to push it on my son too early. We are using the two years to do Sonlight's two year world history program, so they should have a good overview of history at that point.

I can give you a bit of information on the book, if that will help. The section in the book on Herodotus, for instance, is almost 30 pages. There is an introduction of eleven pages and a timeline of the events disscussed by Herodotus. Further reading in Spielvogel is listed. Then there are 25 sessions scheduled, each with reading assignments, a question to consider, and discussion questions. The question to consider for session one is "If you were going to write a great work of history, how would you do it? What would you avoid at all costs?" There are seven discussion questions, they deal with things like Herodotus's goals for writing this work, and how Persia relates to the Greeks. There are also various writing assignments and projects. I am quite impresses with the whole program. If you have any other specific uestions, please let me know.

HTH

--Dawn