Menu

Daily Schedule Question for Mom's with 4 school-aged kids, or more.

CalicoKat

Sigh, you'd think I'd know how to manage this by now.

One of my preschoolers is moving into K this fall and I have to be really intentional about his education i.e., schedule one-on-one time with him for 180 days next year. (reading, handwriting, and phonics).

Before, after or during the other kid's lessons? My other kids are in 6th, 4th (ADHD, intense teacher time) , 2nd and pre-K.

Some days are trickier than others, but this is what we do...

My older 2 actually do most of their independent work (math, handwriting, independent reading, Latin & Grammar (once the lesson is introduced)), at night in their rooms. This allows them to sleep an extra hour in the morning which they love to do!

7:45 younger kids up, eat breakfast

8:30 younger two do their work with me, each one separately (youngest one goes first while 6 y/o works on some independent work)

8:45 older two wake up, eat breakfast (if they got their independent work done the night before)

9:30/45 History (all)

10:30 (or so) one of the older ones works with me

11:30 (or so) the other older one works with me

12:30 lunch (listen to audio book while eating)

1:00 Science (all)

Then if anything needs to be finished up we take care of that after science. Anything the older ones didn't understand in their independent work I work with them on when they meet with me. I try the night before to make sure they understand what they are doing though. Usually we're done with school around 2pm.

When my olders don't do their work at night they work independently while I'm working with the younger 2. Chores are done throughout this time as well.

I'm trying to work around my older two being night owls! This is the system that has worked the best so far....

I schedule one on one work with my youngest two first thing in the morning while the older ones do their independent work. I work with one child for @20 minutes, then they get a break and I work with the next and keep swapping back and forth until we are finished. When we are done I work with the older ones.

I start with a meeting with all of the kids together. We run down the list of expectations for that day and the big two split off to start with their independent lessons. Then I have the little two sit close with me and I go back and forth between them until they're all done. When the littlest wraps up she takes off to play, followed shortly by the next little one. Then I turn my focus to the big two.

In your case I'd keep the older one that must be kept at elbow to one side, the little guy right on your other side, and the 2nd grader across the table. Have the bigger two start with their easiest to self-maintain subject. Then you can focus on the little one and still be close enough to redirect the wiggly one or unstick the 2nd grader.