Menu

Where do I start with writing and grammar instruction?

Guest lkdunn

Guest lkdunn

I am planning to work with my 9-year old daughter during the lengthy summer break. She is just finishing 3rd grade and I am reasonably happy with her school. I am considering using Writing with Ease, but I am unsure of where to start her. I would like the work to be challenging, but I do not want to omit anything important. My daughter loves learning, writing and reading and is a little obsessed with geography. I am a teacher and a children's librarian by profession. Any advice would be appreciated.

Some afterschool to make up for a deficit in their kids education and some to provide enrichment or subjects that aren't offered in school. The tone of your post would seem to indicate you doing it for enrichment. If you are doing it because you are worried about some deficit, then the first step might be some testing or investigating the problem. But if you are doing enrichment, then you might want to figure out a goal or two for the summer.

I am planning to work with my 9-year old daughter during the lengthy summer break. She is just finishing 3rd grade and I am reasonably happy with her school. I am considering using Writing with Ease, but I am unsure of where to start her. I would like the work to be challenging, but I do not want to omit anything important. My daughter loves learning, writing and reading and is a little obsessed with geography. I am a teacher and a children's librarian by profession. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with Writing with Ease. You might be able to get some more advice on the K-8 board if you haven't posted there already.

Your question is one I've grappled with many times. Like you, I'm reasonably happy with my children's skills, but feel as if there are some things I could do over the long break to "check" on them and fill in holes if necessary.

I have a geography obsessed son (now 14). Once upon a time I tried to take his obsession and I got all this stuff and toyed around with a neat geography plan. He said, "Mom, geography is my hobby and I don't really want you to turn my hobby into work." (He was respectful when he said it, BTW). I'll never forget that! I just supplied the library books, National Geographic, etc. He set the pace. He learned more than I could have ever set up for him because he just loved it so much (won state and went to the National GeoBee in Wash. DC).

Back to your writing question, I have to say I have no advice. BUT, I would like to see some sort of list/discussion that fleshes out good afterschooling programs that we can all benefit from. Programs that can be successfully pared down or easily used in the summer months, KWIM?

I'm not familiar with WWE and agree with MBM's suggestion of posting on the K-6 curriculum board. The board moves so fast that you may not get many replies.

I have the old edition of TWTM and I believe Writing Strands was suggested for afterschooling. I think it would have been okay for a kid who likes to write, but my kid didn't like it Does the new version have a specific recommendation for afterschooling? . I've found WTM's rec of Singapore math for afterschooling to be perfect and I have always pared it down and just filled in gaps (usually standard algorithim and math facts).

I feel Writing With Ease is the perfect afterschooling enrichment. It is brief and so easy to implement if you get the workbooks.

Is there a way you can get your hands on the actual book? There are assessments in the book you could give your daughter to find out where she is. Has she ever done any copy work or dictation? You could probably start with workbook 2 or 3. If you feel she picks concepts up easily, I would go with 3.

I'm currently using workbooks 2 and 4 with my 2nd and 4th grader. My fourth grader is fairly new to this concept and struggles at times. This is a girl who goes to "gifted" classes and has always learned quickly. School has always been easy for her. I like how this is a bit of a struggle and she has to think and focus to get it right. Hope this has helped!

Guest Joneswilliamsc

I am supplying the library books. Well I like National Geographic so I am also applying it for my 13 year children. I would like to see some sort of list that fleshes out good afterschooling programs. My son would like to watch Discovery too much. He is always watching it.

or National Geographics to teach your child. The workbooks are good too but not necessary. For grammar, First Language Lessons is easy to implement. Depending on how much grammar your child has had in school (and practice diagramming sentences) you could start with FLL3. It is incrediubly easy for the child (and repititious) but I've found it really helped my dd cement concepts in her head. Younger dd was using both when she decided to go to ps this spring and found grammar assignments are review of what she was doing at home. I thought she'd have problems writing due to nature of school writing asignments (lots of creative writing) but she has done ok. Actually very well with listening assignments and taking notes. I plan to have her finish up both WWE2 workbook and FFL3 over the summer for review and preparation for 4th grade.

• 1 month later...
Guest lkdunn
I feel Writing With Ease is the perfect afterschooling enrichment. It is brief and so easy to implement if you get the workbooks.

Is there a way you can get your hands on the actual book? There are assessments in the book you could give your daughter to find out where she is. Has she ever done any copy work or dictation? You could probably start with workbook 2 or 3. If you feel she picks concepts up easily, I would go with 3.

I'm currently using workbooks 2 and 4 with my 2nd and 4th grader. My fourth grader is fairly new to this concept and struggles at times. This is a girl who goes to "gifted" classes and has always learned quickly. School has always been easy for her. I like how this is a bit of a struggle and she has to think and focus to get it right. Hope this has helped!

I did get the book and give the evaluation. I have decided to start on level 2 because this is new to her. She struggled with the dictation. Thanks for your advice.