Menu

For anyone who uses both RightStart and Singapore

Greta

We've always used RightStart and really love it. But I've seen samples of the Singapore word problems and they seem really great. I'm thinking of buying just a word problem book to supplement RightStart. We're about 1/3 of the way into Level C, but moving pretty quickly. Any idea which level of Singapore would correspond to this best?

Hello,

I use Singapore's Challenging Word Problems along with RightStart Level C. You want to get 1 level below the RightStart level. So, you would want Singapore's CWP 1 for RightStart C, CWP 2 for RS D, and so on.

Edited to add:

The reason for starting one level behind is because you don't want the math to be too difficult. You want the child to be able to solve the word problem and not worry too much about having it be difficult math too. (I don't think I explained it very well, hope you understand what I'm trying to say!)

I too have used RS from the beginning and add in CWP. The only modification I've made is to assign the CWP chapters only after we've covered that particular type of math in RS. i.e. I skipped all the subtraction in bk 1 and had him do all the addition sections, and then went back and picked up the subtraction after we covered it in RS. I don't want him to learn the math concept from Singapore, I just want him to practice what he knows.

Also, I have him do the level that corresponds to the RS level that he is currently in. I haven't run into a problem with that so far.

Thanks, that is good to know. I agree that I really like the way RightStart introduces concepts and teaches strategies, so I wouldn't want to mess with that. But which level of Singapore corresponds with Level C of RightStart?