Menu

History: Should I let him roll with it?

My two eldest are both boys, both on opposite ends of the learning gifts: i.e. one's mathy, the other Mr. Humanities. We're starting TOG Rhetoric this coming year, after several years in TOG D.

With the mathy one, his sister, and I in mind, we have slowed down our TOG schedule to 2-TOG weeks for every 3-calendar weeks. I found with with both my mathy kids (eldest boy and eldest girl) this makes a huge difference in retention and general disposition b/c they don't have to rush so much; basically all the pressure is removed. It also allows me the time to really dig into TOG and educate myself as we move along, and also allows time for me to get "it all" done (all being all my school and household responsibilities).

Then comes along #2-son and #2-daughter, Mr. and Miss Humanities, and they hate spreading out the schedule. They want to go back to one week for one week. Honestly, I don't mind letting little Miss "suffer" b/c I just give her more to read and she's very happy. It's #2-son, Mr. Humanities, for whom I'm thinking of bending.

Should I:

1. Make him wait to see how much R literature is going to increase his workload, and positively rock his world?

2. Put all of his history into a workbook and let him move at his own pace, just keeping lit. up to speed with his mathy brother?

3. Have any of you separated your dc in history in this way? Will it prove CRAZY for me, even if I have Mr. Humanities work at his own pace, but participate in discussions with the group? (I just don't have time to have 3 discussions...I'll already be having 2 :001_huh:, as D and R are not always in the same place.

I want him to enjoy school. I want him to avoid boredom. I need to keep it all under control for personal sanity. Any suggestions appreciated :) He is totally a self-paced kinda kid and his momma is an in-the-box, schedule kinda girl :blushing:, what is a momma to do?

Thanks!

Given that I have absolutely no experience with TOG, I'll give you my opinion anyway ....

I'd suggest telling your children that you will do a one month trial run (using their suggestions) and then you (or you all) will evaluate and decide whether to continue or change.

Regards,

Kareni

Given that I have absolutely no experience with TOG, I'll give you my opinion anyway ....

I'd suggest telling your children that you will do a one month trial run (using their suggestions) and then you (or you all) will evaluate and decide whether to continue or change.

Regards,

Kareni

:iagree: