Menu

Hake's (Saxon) Grammar for 5th Grade

I am trying to simplify and was wondering who has done this program. Does it have enough writing for a child? Is it good for a reluctant writer? DD is 8, but advanced in grammar/vocab/spelling. I like the grammar because it includes diagramming. Opinions of this program? Good or not so great?

Thanks

I am trying to simplify and was wondering who has done this program. Does it have enough writing for a child? Is it good for a reluctant writer? DD is 8, but advanced in grammar/vocab/spelling. I like the grammar because it includes diagramming. Opinions of this program? Good or not so great?

Thanks

(Other threads on Hake have discussed the program.)

Your dd is in 3rd? (estimating, from given age of 8)

My 5th grade dd, who had negligible/skimpy grammar background, has used Hake, grade 5 this year. I would not rely on this as a writing program. Combine this grammar program with a writing program of your choice. Grammar concepts are "sinking in" for my dd finally, whereas BJUP and FLL both fell flat with resounding thuds.

We're using Saxon Grammar and Writing 5 this year and I love the grammar portion!! It's fantastic and he's learning so much! (Language Arts is NOT his favorite subject, but he likes this better than anything else we've used for grammar).

We're using IEW for writing and Spelling Power for spelling.