Menu

Latin advice

ange

I have a current 4th and 5th grader (9yodd, 11yods) taking Ecce Romani 1 in private school. DD will be halfway thru EC 1 and my DS will have finished EC 1 the end of this school year. I have been looking at all the homeschool Latin curriculums, as I do not know Latin and cannot teach them using EC. I looked into Lukeion Project, but they suggested my kids may be too young for their classes. I am also considering hiring a tutor. I am looking for an inductive/deductive method using classical pronunciation and wondering if anyone has some curriculum suggestions, or if anyone has experience they can share about the Lukeion Project classes before I start looking for a tutor. I am also wondering if I should have DD & DS continue English grammar studies along with Latin. Thanks for your help!

I'll comment on the Lukeion classes, and if you do a search you may find other threads about Lukeion. My dd16 has taken two years of Latin with Lukeion, and it is definitely a fast-paced, high level course. I can't comment on how prepared your kids would be to jump into Wheelock's because I'm not familiar with ER, and I'm not a Latin scholar either. But I can say that my dd spent an average of 8-10 hours a week on her Latin studies, and this was focused studying, plus the time it took to do the test every weekend. I think the pace would be very intense for kids your age, IMHO.

As for grammar, we had not done a lot of formal grammar before dd started Lukeion Latin, and she has learned English grammar very thoroughly through her Latin studies. She did about 1.5 years of Latina Christiana before Lukeion, and I couldn't understand at that point what people meant when they said that Latin students can learn their English grammar through Latin. Now I know!

Lukeion is a wonderful resource and you might like to take one of their 4-session workshops. Depending on which one you take, your kids could really enjoy and get a lot out of them. My 11yo dd has taken a few and loves them.

There is also a thread about this on the high school boards. I have been following both, snce I too have an 11 y/o that I would like to enroll in their Latin classes. What I have gathered, though, is that he may be a bt young and waiting a year would be good. There is also a placement test on their web site.

Danielle

I have a current 4th and 5th grader (9yodd, 11yods) taking Ecce Romani 1 in private school. DD will be halfway thru EC 1 and my DS will have finished EC 1 the end of this school year. I have been looking at all the homeschool Latin curriculums, as I do not know Latin and cannot teach them using EC. I looked into Lukeion Project, but they suggested my kids may be too young for their classes. I am also considering hiring a tutor. I am looking for an inductive/deductive method using classical pronunciation and wondering if anyone has some curriculum suggestions, or if anyone has experience they can share about the Lukeion Project classes before I start looking for a tutor. I am also wondering if I should have DD & DS continue English grammar studies along with Latin. Thanks for your help!

I am going to alternate Latin Alive with Ecce Romani. The hope being that after doing Latin Alive she will be strong enough to do Ecce Romani fairly independently. Though there is a whole support website and yahoo group, so if dd gets in a tough spot I will probably send her online to ask questions. I want to know this stuff, but just don't have the time right now to learn.

Heather