Menu

Silly Phoncs Question

I have seen a variety of thoughts about phonics. But it seems some believe phonics continues far beyond the initial instruction of teaching your child to read. So, this may sound silly but, how long do you teach phonics? I am thinking how many years do you teach it? What curriculum do you use all the way through?

I may have been misunderstanding, so i want to better understand.

I have seen a variety of thoughts about phonics. But it seems some believe phonics continues far beyond the initial instruction of teaching your child to read. So, this may sound silly but, how long do you teach phonics? I am thinking how many years do you teach it? What curriculum do you use all the way through?

I may have been misunderstanding, so i want to better understand.

You shouldn't have to teach *phonics* for more than a couple of years. After that you work on *reading:* recalling facts, following directions, drawing conclusions, making applications, writer's purpose, mood, and so on.

We do phonics instruction for roughly 3 years. Typically I have begun with Phonics Pathways at around 4 1/2 - 5 years of age. It has taken about 18 months for each of my children to finish the book (we always finish the book). About halfway through the book we begin ETC with book 1 and continue through book 6. My kids usually whiz through them, because it is all review. But it helps to solidify the concepts.