Menu

Ideas for refinishing vintage metal chairs

Hi! I posted an ad on craigslist for old metal outdoor chairs, and a man gave me these! I am so super excited. I want to refinish them and paint them a funky color. Any ideas/tips for removing the rust and paint and refinishing them? Thanks!!

post-1032-13535083522897_thumb.jpg

post-1032-13535083522897_thumb.jpg

How fun! You might check into having them powder coated. In our neck of the woods, paint would only last about a season no matter what was used. But powder coating is pretty much a lifetime thing. You may be lucky to live in an area where painted metal wears well...

I wouldn't refinish them, other than brushing out the rust and giving it some clear, matte rust control.

There are replicas that are all new looking, etc. The old ones, that look like that, actually are incredibly rare and valuable.

a

Are they really rare and valuable? We have a couple. I have thought of having our repainted because they are rusty and uncomfortable to sit in.

I think auto paint shops know how to paint metal and have a smooth finish and rust proofing, but I don't know who much it would cost.

I want some of these. My grandparents had them and they bring back powerful positive memories for me.

I would brush the rust off with a wire brush and get all the flaky paint off the same way- then lay out some newspaper or a drop cloth and spray paint those babies.

Just do it. You want them to be pretty and comfortable, so make them that way.:001_smile:

Guest Virginia Dawn

I painted a rusty old swing set 2 years ago and it is still holding up.

Here is what I did:

1. Use a wire brush on the worst spots.

2. Sand the whole thing , harder on the flaky and rusty spots.

3.Spray with Rustoleum rust cover stuff. I don't know what else to call it, but it it is an ugly rusty brown color stuff.

4. Then coat the whole thing with Rustoleum enamel of your choice. I recommend using a brush and paint in a can instead of spray paint for the enamel. There seems to be a lot more waste and mess using the spray.

5. A second coat will probably help it last longer.

Happy painting!

I wouldn't refinish them, other than brushing out the rust and giving it some clear, matte rust control.

There are replicas that are all new looking, etc. The old ones, that look like that, actually are incredibly rare and valuable.

a

I am actually leaning towards this. I love the charm!