Menu

CLE Math or MUS- advice please

My 2 middle girls are currently 3rd & 7th grade. We have to do something different for math, we have used TT this year (4 & 7) and I am not happy with it.

My 3rd grader is doing well, but still struggles from time to time with the basics of carrying, and is still working on multiplication facts.

My 7th grader is doing not so well, we did R & S for 6th grade and part of 7th, she begged for Teaching Textbooks like her older sister. At the time I agreed because she would fight me in sitting down to work together. I feel she has not moved forward at all since switching.

I plan on switching them both over to their current levels in a different curriculum, and we will be doing math throughout the Summer.

My top picks right now are MUS because they are still taught the skills from someone else, and there is plenty of practice. And CLE because I have heard it is very thorough and a good program.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

My older ds using R&S math 3-6,8 and did very well with it, but I learned that it's not the best for upper math so I switched younger ds to CLE math 5 (finishing 7 now).

CLE math is harder than R&S math. CLE introduces things much earlier than R&S. You would need to put your 7th grader in CLE math 6 or 7 and STILL teach things that weren't introduced previously (not in R&S 6/7 at least). It can be done but you would need to help a lot with things that CLE assumes they learned previously. CLE still re-teaches most of it but faster. I'm afraid this would cause more fighting.

If your older dd likes TT maybe you should stick with it and do TT algebra 1 for grade 8. If she does TT alg. 1 in grade 8 and TT alg. 2 in grade 9 she'll be fine!

Switch younger dd to CLE math. Take the placement tests available on clp.org Even if she's a year behind in CLE math - that's OK. We're finishing CLE math 7 and moving onto Saxon alg. 1 which I believe will be an easy transition because CLE 7 does a lot of higher math.

It depends really on what you want and what you are looking for.

If she likes to focus on a topic at a time I would go with MUS.

If she doesn't mind learning the information in small bits and review CLE maybe the better fit.

Like always have your children take the diagnostic test for math on CLE's website. It is very important. You don't go by grade levels that your children are currently in. CLE's math spans several grade levels just in one level. Don't be surprised if they test a level or two below. That is fine. Different curriculum, different scope and sequence. Just go with what they test in and work from there. The vast majority of children coming into CLE from a different curriculum will test lower.

I just wanted to add that my dd (7th grade) has finished 7th grade math and we purchaed CLE 8 and I had to turn around and purchase CLE 7. CLE is definitely higher math. We are going to try and finish CLE 7 & 8 next year for 8th grade. We are going to go through Singapore 6A & 6B during the summer for review.