Menu

Computer Time

We decided to do a blanket no tv and no computer during the week rule. They can, if they have not lost the privileges during the week, get on for about an hour twice each over the weekend. We don't have a set time. They play this Star Wars Lego game that moves along in levels. We will tell them they can play one level and check back in with us. If that level didn't take long, we might let them do a 2nd one. Otherwise, that's all for the day.

We tried to do a little each day, but the things they are doing take a long time. So we decided to let them have longer stretches on the weekend rather than smaller ones during the week. Since we have a blanket rule, they don't harass us constantly for their computer time during the week (which drove me insane!). Much better this way! (for us)

We use a token economy for all sorts of privileges here, and my two dc (6 1/2 and 9) can "buy" 1/2 hour of computer game time per day.

General TV watching with the family I don't count, but if they want to watch something on DVD, then that does cost them credits.

We use a token economy for all sorts of privileges here, and my two dc (6 1/2 and 9) can "buy" 1/2 hour of computer game time per day.

General TV watching with the family I don't count, but if they want to watch something on DVD, then that does cost them credits.

Please explain your token economy further please. I am very interested.

My kids have to earn computer time around here. They earn it by doing chores and completing school work. I found that Spanish was one of those subjects that got neglected the most, so I made up a card with little squares on it that they check off when they complete a lesson. Each square earns about 15 minutes of computer time and for each 20, they get to invite over a friend for the day.

It's taken from the book Transforming the Difficult Child:

http://difficultchild.com/

Both of my kids are strong willed, but my ds (the 9 year old), is particularly contrary and much more strong willed than his sister. The token economy has really eliminated most of the complaining and arguing about privileges that cost credits (we still have struggles with other things - as he tries to learn that he can't have his way all the time), but it gives the kids a lot of control about what they choose to spend their credits on. One of the bigger "cost" items are toys I buy when I find them on sale (for example, Littlest PetShop toys), and then they go in a box and can be purchased for a certain amount of credits.

We have a token system that works like this:

ds earns:

1 token for all daily chores completed

3 tokens for all daily schoolwork completed

3 tokens/week for all weekly chores completed in 1 day

Here are the rules:

Each token is equal to 1/2 hour of TV/computer/game system time.

It works out so that he can only earn 14 hours/week.

The weekends are a free for all, only because he is an only child. If there were other kids in the house we'd have to regulate it on the weekend also, I think.

He doesn't have to use tokens if he is watching TV/playing a game/on the computer with Mom or Dad

1/2 hour of Educational TV is allowed at lunch without using a token, if time & attitude allows.

Just recently, we amended the plan as such:

He has built up 28 tokens (14 hours) and wasn't really having time to use them due to our schedule so we told him that if he didn't use any time we would pay him $.50 for each token. He likes that idea and hasn't used his tokens; he cannot exchange money for electronic time. He stays within the system: he only checks/returns email on the weekends. He spends his very little free time being creative or reading during the week. He isn't spending all his time on electronics during the weekends.

This has worked well with us and we have been able to flexible to the changing demands since we moved back to NM.

Around here, the younger kids (the 11, 8 and 6yo) have set days they are allowed to play on the computer. They still aren't allowed on until schoolwork and chores are done for that day. They each picked their own days. The 11yo gets 2 days and so does the 6yo, but the 8yo only gets one day a week now because she got caught cheating by playing on days that weren't hers. All screens, including the one DS that they share, webkinz, computer games, and the WII count. The older kids are trusted to budget their own time because they've proven they can. I like this plan because it's simple and self-limiting and leaves me out of both the squabbles and the policing of the screens as much as possible.

Barb