Menu

Care to glance at my high school schedule? XP

It's on paper....including the entire lot...any thoughts???

Things to know:

I block teach the Elders one day a week so we can get in the “big kid†stuff easily. We have daily meetings to make sure the work is getting done, to discuss what they’re learning and to work through any problem areas. The Little League is on a 4-day schedule so I can put this in effect.

The 5th grader gets much freedom, but will be joining the big kids a little bit here and there.

I’ll start with the A-bomb…2 years old…working on less destruction, more obedience, and mostly just some fun. Once he stops putting everything in his mouth, we’ll do some sand, water, and finger play. Not much for him….I don’t really do pre-school

K5 – 4 days/wk (easy life, learning to be in school with our focus on learning phonics)

Sensational Strategies

Family Math

Sit in on Sci and History read alouds and color some related pics and talking about what we learn

Sports through a church league

He can’t wait for this! He’s so excited to start school!

2nd Grade 4 days/wk

The Phonics Road finish level 2, begin and complete 3

TOG Y3 Units ¾; Y4 Units ½ (lit, geography, church history, history, vocabulary) including some narration and summarization (UG core, the rest LG)

Science – I’ve decided on something a little different. Rotating months between Apologia Anatomy and Science kits for physics, using Noeo as our spine, but adding more hands on. I think the Little League will appreciate the variety (and so will I).

MUS Beta (finish it), head to Singapore 1A,B

Piano

PE

Bible/Worship

Computer drill for math, vocab, spelling, in the form of games J

Alternating writing/drawing journal

Memory work

3rd Grade 4 days/wk

The Phonics Road finish level 2, begin and complete 3

TOG Y3 Units ¾; Y4 Units ½ (lit, geography, church history, history, vocabulary), including much narration and summarization (UG core, the rest LG)

Science – as above with the 2nd grader

Singapore 3A, B + Challenging Word Problems

Piano

PE

Bible/Worship

Computer drill for math, vocab, spelling, in the form of games J

Memory work

Typing….maybe….he wants it, I’m not sure if I’ll comply.

5th Grade 5 days

The Phonics Road finish level 3, begin and nearly finish 4

TOG Y3 Units ¾; Y4 Units ½ (lit, geography, church history, history, vocabulary), including a focus on outlining and paragraph formation She’ll use UG for everything except lit, where she thrives and will begin her adventures in D

Writing Aids

Science – as above with the Little League, with living books added

Singapore 4B, Life of Fred Decimals, Singapore 5A

Wordly Wise - she loves workbooks and has requested she finish what I dumped with her sister…okay J

Piano

PE

Bible/Worship

Vocabulary with Mom (following a Webster’s vocab book and vocab cartoons) This will be her first time joining the Elders for this…I may wait until she finished the WW b4 starting this, I’ll probably let her decide and she’ll probably join us early on. She likes to be a big kid.

Computer drill for math, vocab, spelling, Latin roots in the form of games J

Beginning Time Management….good luck with this one! She is naturally in this free flowing state of scatter brain, yet still gets it done. Putting structure in this one will be a doozy!

Daily Grams

Sports through a church league, weekly babysitting

Memory work

Typing

Logic CD via Critical Thinking Co.

7th Grade

Dialectic - TOG Y3 Units ¾; Y4 Units ½ (lit, geography, church history, history, vocabulary), continued focus on outlining and paragraph formation; focus on seeing the big picture and how all the subjects connect across the Tapestry of history.

Science – as above with the Little Leaguers, with many living books added and an outstanding notebook expected J

Larson/Hostetler Elementary Algebra + Dana Mosely DVDs (essentially chalkdust but for less $$ and no customer support, which is fine…she has her older brother J )

Vocabulary with Mom (following a Webster’s vocab book and vocab cartoons)

Piano

PE

Bible/Worship

Computer drill for math, vocab, spelling, Latin in the form of games J

The Latin Road to English Grammar 2

Daily Grams

Write Shop 1 (finish) and begin Write Shop 2

Time Management continued….easy with this one J She’s the queen of organization, and naturally so. If only *I* was born organized!

Sports through a church league, weekly baby sitting

Memory work

Speed reading

Logic CD via Critical Thinking Co.

8th Grade – ready for high school – this one is very academic

Rhetoric - TOG Y3 Units ¾; Y4 Units ½ (lit, geography, church history, history, vocabulary), focus on Literature as a deeper subject (gulp)

Science – Apologia Biology…unless Noeo comes out with Physics on time, then Physics w/ added labs (want to get the hs credit, and the program is targeted through 9th grade, so bio can wait a year!)

Math is on the wait and see. He’s using LoF Algebra now, and loving it. When he finishes, I’ll test him using Saxon Alg. If he fairs well, I’ll put him in LoF Alg. 2, if he needs some work, we’ll hit and miss with Larson/Hostetler to fill in gaps. Fingers crossed that Fred will pull it out for me!

Piano (although I’m hoping for a drum set for him…you’re welcome to pray for that!)

PE

Bible/Worship

Daily Grams

Vocab. Using the 100 most common classical words list (his choice on this. I showed it to him and he adds them to Quizlet, then studies on his own…yeah, I love this kid!

Write Shop 1 (finish) and begin Write Shop 2 (Comp I and II reqt at end of WS2)

Time Management continued….

Boy Scouts, including Den Chief with the lil’ guys.

2nd semester: gov’t credit to fulfill state req’t, using TOG (trying to get comfy with lit first!)

Alternating writing/drawing journal (he’s been writing the same story for over a year…)

Memory work

I think he may enjoy the Write Your Own series, so I’ll give it to him as leisure.

Logic…still unsure, leaning Cothran

9th Grade – high school entry J cool…scary…cool…scary

Rhetoric - TOG Y3 Units ¾; Y4 Units ½ (lit, geography, church history, history, vocabulary), focus on Literature as a deeper subject (still gulping), bringing in a focus on battles with the use of video for him (less reading, more watching)

Science – Apologia Biology…unless Noeo comes out with Physics on time, then Physics w/ added labs

Larson/Hostetler Intermediate Algebra (Mosely DVDs…ditto on the generic Chalkdust)

Guitar focus with a minor in piano J

PE

Bible/Worship

Daily Grams

Time Management continued….prayers please that we’ll mature this year and just leave this ole puberty thing (he’s kinda driving me crazy)

2nd semester: gov’t credit to fulfill state req’t, using TOG and drivers ed (yes, he’ll be driving – that is CRAZY)

Memory work

Speed reading

I *may* do a once a month co-op for the Little League, still thinking this over.

It's on paper....including the entire lot...any thoughts???

Things to know:

I block teach the Elders one day a week so we can get in the “big kid” stuff easily. We have daily meetings to make sure the work is getting done, to discuss what they’re learning and to work through any problem areas. The Little League is on a 4-day schedule so I can put this in effect.

8th Grade – ready for high school – this one is very academic

Rhetoric - TOG Y3 Units ¾; Y4 Units ½ (lit, geography, church history, history, vocabulary), focus on Literature as a deeper subject (gulp)

Science – Apologia Biology…unless Noeo comes out with Physics on time, then Physics w/ added labs (want to get the hs credit, and the program is targeted through 9th grade, so bio can wait a year!)

Math is on the wait and see. He’s using LoF Algebra now, and loving it. When he finishes, I’ll test him using Saxon Alg. If he fairs well, I’ll put him in LoF Alg. 2, if he needs some work, we’ll hit and miss with Larson/Hostetler to fill in gaps. Fingers crossed that Fred will pull it out for me!

Piano (although I’m hoping for a drum set for him…you’re welcome to pray for that!)

PE

Bible/Worship

Daily Grams

Vocab. Using the 100 most common classical words list (his choice on this. I showed it to him and he adds them to Quizlet, then studies on his own…yeah, I love this kid!

Time Management continued….

2nd semester: gov’t credit to fulfill state req’t, using TOG (trying to get comfy with lit first!)

Alternating writing/drawing journal (he’s been writing the same story for over a year…)

Memory work

I think he may enjoy the Write Your Own series, so I’ll give it to him as leisure.

9th Grade – high school entry J cool…scary…cool…scary

Rhetoric - TOG Y3 Units ¾; Y4 Units ½ (lit, geography, church history, history, vocabulary), focus on Literature as a deeper subject (still gulping), bringing in a focus on battles with the use of video for him (less reading, more watching)

Science – Apologia Biology…unless Noeo comes out with Physics on time, then Physics w/ added labs

Larson/Hostetler Intermediate Algebra (Mosely DVDs…ditto on the generic Chalkdust)

Guitar focus with a minor in piano J

PE

Bible/Worship

Daily Grams

Time Management continued….prayers please that we’ll mature this year and just leave this ole puberty thing (he’s kinda driving me crazy)

2nd semester: gov’t credit to fulfill state req’t, using TOG and drivers ed (yes, he’ll be driving – that is CRAZY)

Memory work

Speed reading

I *may* do a once a month co-op for the Little League, still thinking this over.

I think a lot of this looks good.

A couple of questions. I'm a bit unclear about the math for your 9th grader. Has he done Algebra? Is he going to do it later or is he going to do business or consumer math? Are you waiting for him to reach a more reasonable age? (I can totally relate :)). For your 8th grader, Do you already have Saxon Algebra? Have you compared what's covered in each Algebra 1 program? Just FYI. I think it's great to do it twice like that.

Foreign Language. Are your dc going to go to college? If so, are you planning to start a more serious language program next year? I realize that with all your dc you can't teach it all, but I don't think that Latin in the form of games is enough to count as a full high school credit. We've added a separate grammar program to dd's Rosetta Stone German (the older edition) to fill out the credit.

As for

I think a lot of this looks good.

A couple of questions. I'm a bit unclear about the math for your 9th grader. Has he done Algebra? Is he going to do it later or is he going to do business or consumer math? Are you waiting for him to reach a more reasonable age? (I can totally relate :)). He will have completed Alg. 1 and will start with Alg 2 (Intermediate) using Chalkdust. He's a math kid, probably headed for a math major in college. We plan to go light on science for him and heavy in math for all of high school. For your 8th grader, Do you already have Saxon Algebra? Have you compared what's covered in each Algebra 1 program? Just FYI. I think it's great to do it twice like that. I do have Saxon. I'm hoping that LoF has worked for him. There so little opinion on whether LoF is enough...if he fares well after testing in Saxon, we'll stick w/ LoF. HE's a humanities kid for sure, so we'll go easier math for his high school experience, with focus on humanities. He wants to be a lawyer (at least for now).

Foreign Language. Are your dc going to go to college? If so, are you planning to start a more serious language program next year? I realize that with all your dc you can't teach it all, but I don't think that Latin in the form of games is enough to count as a full high school credit. We've added a separate grammar program to dd's Rosetta Stone German (the older edition) to fill out the credit. The Latin Road to English Grammar is a very serious Latin program. By the time we finish all 3 levels, they'll have 2 years of high school credit. The games online are to reinforce vocab only. I will do spanish over every summer using Rosetta Stone. We struggled getting 2 languages in this year, so I dropped spanish, as I use Spanish a bit in every day life, so formally using it can be second to Latin (want Latin for those standarized tests).

As for

Thanks for the input. HS is a whole new world. I'm without the sense of surity I have in K-8, and while I know we can do it....it's nice to hear from those who came before me :)

I have absolutely no experience teaching this number of children... that said, your plan looks doable and quite fun because of there seems to be lots of group work that will enable the kids to glean from you and each other.

Totally the plan :) Lots of crossover. My girls are in all sorts of "classrooms" next year!

Thanks for the input. HS is a whole new world. I'm without the sense of surity I have in K-8, and while I know we can do it....it's nice to hear from those who came before me :)

Okay. Something to be aware of, though, is that Saxon and LoF may not cover the same things at the same level. eg. LoF covers quadratic equations in Beginning Algebra, but MUS in Algebra 2. So it might happen that Saxon covers something in Algebra 1 that LoF leaves until Advanced Algebra.

Thanks for the info on your Latin program. I really didn't know that much about it.