Menu

Dual Enrollment in FL?

My oldest son registered for the Dual Enrollment program here in Florida this week which means free college level courses. However, I have some concerns and I am hoping someone here can tell me about their experiences and can answer the questions that are starting to keep me up at night. My main questions are: Should we strive to complete his AA as he finishes HS? Will this put him at a disadvantage for scholarships or acceptance to top universities?

Many thanks for your help:)

My oldest son registered for the Dual Enrollment program here in Florida this week which means free college level courses. However, I have some concerns and I am hoping someone here can tell me about their experiences and can answer the questions that are starting to keep me up at night. My main questions are: Should we strive to complete his AA as he finishes HS? Will this put him at a disadvantage for scholarships or acceptance to top universities?

Many thanks for your help:)

If you can complete the AA, go for it--IMO you can't get cheaper than free!;) Dd#1 got hers & dd#2 is finishing hers next spring.

As to the scholardhips--as always, it depends on the school. When #1 was applying, some schools considered DE classes as honors as they didn't matriculate---period. Most considered her a "freshman w/credit" and would give her credit plus put her in the freshman scholarship pool. For in-state all the state schools--cc & U--matriculate so those credits won't be wasted and U of F prefers that students have the Freshman levels done (I imagine to keep the class sizes down & help their ratios.) As to the in-state privates, they can do what they want, but dd kept all her credits when she enrolled @ Palm Bch Atlantic U. A friend who went on to U. of Tampa was told they're more likely to accept more of the cc credits if you actually have the AA, not just classes.

Will this affect scholarship/admission statuts to "top universities"?

You need to contact the specific universities your student is interested in and ask what is their policy.

Some universities will treat the student as a transfer and not an incoming freshman. Therefore, the opportunities for scholarships could be different.

HTH