Menu

We have decided to not use an accredited academy...

Since we will not be using an accredited academy and we will be using our own diploma and transcripts, do I HAVE to follow my districts requirements for high school graduation?

Their requirements are not specific as to what they want taken in say, history or science, they just say the year requirement. So the high school I attend now requires US History II. Must I take it if I want to take another history like Ancient?

The homeschool woman downtown knows NOTHING about homeschooling so I can't exactly ask her.

http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/archive01/gradreq.pdf

My school requirements are on page 24; Springfield.

The chart makes it seem like as long as you have x number of years in math, science, social studies, etc., you'll be ok. I find it odd that it doesn't list specific course requirements (or recommendations) for Massachusetts, i.e. 2 years of world history or whatever.

I think you should look at the colleges you want to apply to, and see what they require students to have taken, and base your studies off of that. Example: the college I go to has the following requirements for admissions:

• Strength of your high school curriculum (including your senior year)
  • Successful completion of four years of English; three years of college preparatory mathematics (Algebra I, Algebra II, and geometry); three years of science (two with lab); and three years of social studies. Foreign language study is strongly recommended but not required
  • Performance as measured by grades in the above courses or by GED scores. --- uses an academic GPA on a 4.0 scale based only on college prep and academic course work completed
  • Curricular patterns or grade trends in your academic courses
  • Your SAT or ACT scores
  • Participation in extracurricular activities such as sports, performing groups, student government, student publications, civic, and charitable organizations, etc.

Edited by jennifermarie
additional info

My state laws list what we should cover: History, English, Math, Language, Health, etc.

So because it isn't specific I could just do Ancient History?

Awesome!

Thanks!

I would say yes, especially since you want to!! :)

Just make sure you map out the rest of your history to cover requirements like US History, Government, and Economics. The Ancient will come under World History. Some states (and colleges) require at least one of the above three, especially government. If I remember correctly, my son's college looked for World, US, and Govt./Econ to be on the transcript. Other posters have said that US History can be taken w/government fairly easily.

We submit a plan each year to the district for approval along with our "mutually agreed upon" form of assessment. I think you probably will have to do the same. We did the same thing from K-12. Our local high school's requirements are more along the lines of 2 social studies, 4 math, 4 English, etc.. To avoid trouble, I make sure we meet or exceed those guidelines, and I include a general high school plan (which changes every year GRIN) and a "courses complete" sheet with every plan. I include a cover letter, as well. I gave the courses (when we completed them) descriptive names like Ancient Literature on the transcript, not plain ones like English 3. Each course didn't necessarily fit into one year; some we did as 10 minutes a day for four years, others we did intensively for a few months. That didn't seem to bother my school district. I think I remember that Mass homeschooling laws say you are required to teach various subjects, but US History 2 isn't among them. Are you currently homeschooling? Have your written a homeschooling application before?

-Nan

[quote name=Are you currently homeschooling? Have your written a homeschooling application before?

-Nan

We gave in our application about 3 weeks ago. We should be hearing soon. She said she was 99.9% sure she would approve me though. Junior year will be my first year so I am nervous about choosing subjects.

It sounds like you are all set, then. If you use a textbook or program, the educational plan is easy to write. If you make up a course of your own, you have to write a little more for the subject and describe what you are planning on doing. Keep in mind that this is the plan and don't panic if the reality is different. It has to be something equivalent, but I've varied things every year and not had a problem. Classroom teachers do this, too. If your math program isn't working, you can switch. If you decide you really want to read Jane Eyre instead of Robinson Crusoe, you can.

-Nan

It sounds like you are all set, then. If you use a textbook or program, the educational plan is easy to write. If you make up a course of your own, you have to write a little more for the subject and describe what you are planning on doing. Keep in mind that this is the plan and don't panic if the reality is different. It has to be something equivalent, but I've varied things every year and not had a problem. Classroom teachers do this, too. If your math program isn't working, you can switch. If you decide you really want to read Jane Eyre instead of Robinson Crusoe, you can.

-Nan

I'm a bit nervous because our original plan changed, A LOT. We went from the accredited program, and I used their descriptions and the classes I was going to take, on the plan of study. Now, we have completely strayed away from them and we are using curriculum's that are from Alpha Omega and such, but far from what I told them. IF they find out our plan of study changed, can they do anything? I'll be taking basically the same classes, plus some. We just couldn't afford them in time for the cheaper price. I'll still be ready for the standardized testing, though I'll be 17 so maybe I can not take 'em somehow. Do I have to take standardized testing? I'll still take SAT and ACT's.