Menu

Getting started with Latin, Minimus, or Prima Latina - Help!

Which one would you recommend for my 4th grader? Help!

I would definitely not go with Prima Latina. Too young for a 4th grader. If you are interested in the Memoria Press series, I would start with Latina Christiana I for 4th, and move on to First Form for 5th.

Again, Minimus seems a little young to me for a fourth grader, although I think I have seen some people using it as a supplement to their main Latin program for that age. My second grader is loving it, though, but we're not using it to the fullest since I didn't splurge on the TM.

LCI, GSWL, Latin Prep, and Lively Latin seem to be popular choices for a 4th grader here. These are all very different programs--different methods, different pronunciations, etc. Do you have any thoughts on what type of program you're looking for? Reading vs. Grammar-based, Classical vs. Ecclesiastical pronunciation, secular vs. Christian?

I've been researching tons and decided to give GSWL a try. It's pretty cheap and I figured a good gentle intro. Then when it's done I think I'll go with Latin Prep. I really like the looks of it.

But, I haven't used any of them yet so we shall see! Hopefully you'll get lots of good comments. :)

For Classical pronunciation I think Latin's Not So Tough Level 1 was invaluable for my children. It teaches each letter sound and diphthong one at a time.

We love Minimus as a supplement.

Prima Latina would definitely be too young for a 4th grader. From what I understand EVERYTHING in PL is also in Latina Christiana 1 plus some.

I'm still undecided on what we are going to use. Right now they are working through Latin's Not So Tough 2, but I'm not crazy about it.