Menu

MFW High School question

For those of you who use MFW for highschool, is the language instruction sufficient for high school in your opinion? What exactly does it consist of? Their website shows workbooks for levels up to 8th grade, but then it just says that language instruction is included in the general guide for high school with no separate workbook. Do you think it is enough for you? Why or why not?

I asked the same question on the MFW message board and was told that AHL does have some grammar built into the lit/comp portion of the program in the context of how to improve your writing. My dd13 will be using AHL next year and I plan to use R&S English 6 for her as well as she has had a good amount of grammar in the past but not to the extent that I feel she has learned everything she should know. Does that makes sense? Her future goals include teaching and missionary work and I feel that having a good grasp of the English language (as well as other languages) will serve her well. It was also suggested to do something like AG over the summer. HTH.

I have Smarr's writing guide. It used to be available separately; I bought it some years ago. This is what is used for the writing/grammar part of AHL. I would say that it covers 'enough' grammar to apply to writing of the papers, but it does not have review in any way, no tests, no spiral approach and not all parts of grammar. Its focus is more usage. I am debating with myself if this is enough or I need to add more. I'm not too comfortable with the writing instruction either. It's 'okay', but I may have to add there too. If you look at AHL and compare that to the following year, there is a BIG difference in the number and types of papers required. I'm not sure if my dd will be prepared for such a big jump.

I've been wondering if I need to add grammar to the MFW AHL for my dd next year. It looks like I probably should. I'm thinking of getting Analytical Grammar. She's a bit behind on it, and since I didn't have good grammar instruction in school I'm not much help. She'll be taking Spanish next year as well, which I hope will help her learn and cement some of the grammar concepts she's not getting/understanding/remembering right now.

Any other suggestions of what would be good to use to bump up this area?